$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the autism diagnostic interview-revised (ADR-I), the autism spectrum quotient--children's version (AQ-Child), the broader phenotype autism symptom scale (BPASS), the social and communication disorders checklist (SCDC) and the social responsiveness scale. The paper reaches the conclusion that there is a validity to claims concerning the value of self-report for identifying and characterizing the presence of the autism phenotype or spectrum disorder.
From the Paper:"The examination of the broad autism phenotype, which encompasses a wide variance of symptoms and levels of severity, is here concerned with the relative demand for greater accountability in measuring autistic traits. Accordingly, as of the report by Baron-Cohen (2000), it was stated that "there are no brief, self-administered instruments for measuring the degree to which an adult with normal intelligence has the traits associated with the autistic spectrum." (Baron-Cohen, 5) Baron-Cohen indicates that this shortcoming has occurred due to the complex array of differing theoretical schools of thought on the causes of the condition."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Auyeung, B.; Baron-Cohen, S.; Wheelwright, S. & Allison, C. (2007). The Autism Spectrum Quotient: Children's Version. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- Baron-Cohen, S. (2000). Is Asperger's sundrome/High-functioning Autism necessarily a disability? Developmental and Psychopathology. Online at http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7138/lobby/disability.htm
- Bishop et al. (2004). Using self-report to identify the broad phenotype in parents of children with autistic spectrum disorders: A study using the Autism Spectrum Quotient. Journal of ChildPsychology and Psychiatry, 45, 1431-1436.
- Constantino, J. N. (2002). The Social Responsiveness Scale. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological.
- Cowley, Geoffrey. (2003). Girls, Boys and Autism. Newsweek, Vol. 142, No. 10.
Cite this Term Paper:
Diagnosing Autism (2010, August 19) Retrieved February 07, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/diagnosing-autism-128953/
"Diagnosing Autism" 19 August 2010. Web. 07 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/diagnosing-autism-128953/>