Depression in Young Women
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper relates that women are highly prone to depression, more so than men. The paper discusses the causes of depression and the serious consequences of depression in youth. The paper notes the importance of early intervention and treatment.
From the Paper:"Depression is a serious problem among young women due to a variety of factors including societal expectations, childhood abuse, low self-esteem etc. Young women are at a greater risk of developing depressive symptoms compared to boys, though prior to puberty, boys exhibit a slightly higher risk. However from the age of 11 to 13, a dramatic change is noticed as young girls become more vulnerable to depression than boys in the same age group. It is a well-documented fact, which remains consistent across cultures. (Kessler et al. 1993) Depression is connected with serious personal and economic damage. Even though it was once assumed that higher rate of depression in young women compared to young men could be attributed to women's greater tendency to seek help and report such symptoms, it has now been rejected."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cyranowski, J., Ellen, F., Young, E., et al (2000) Adolescent onset of the gender difference in lifetime rates of major depression: a theoretical model. Archives of General Psychiatry, 57, 21-27.
- Kessler RC, McGonagle KA, Swartz M, et al: Sex and depression in the National Co morbidity Survey, I: lifetime prevalence, chronicity and recurrence. J Affect Disorder 1993; 29:85-96
- McGrath, E., Keita, G. P., Stickland, B. R., & Russo, N. F. (1990). Women and depression: Risk factors and treatment issues. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- BADAL, DW 1988: Treatment of depression and related moods: A manual for psychotherapists. New Jersey: Jason Aronson.
- BRAGE, D & MEREDITH, W 1994: A causal model of adolescent depression. The Journal of Psychology, 128(4), 1994:455-468.
Cite this Term Paper:
Depression in Young Women (2007, September 23) Retrieved September 22, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/depression-in-young-women-98413/
"Depression in Young Women" 23 September 2007. Web. 22 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/depression-in-young-women-98413/>