$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains the typical quantitative data gathering strategies and looks at the data collection methods in computer information systems that include computer assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) and Web-based questionnaires. The paper discusses the disadvantages of computer information systems as a data collection method and explains the advantages of telephone interviews and paper-pencil-questionnaires. The paper explores the research on the topic and draws the conclusion that the use of computer information as a data collection method or tool is not a strong enough method to support the findings of an evaluation compared to alternative methods such as questioning and observation.
From the Paper:"Claire declares that the typical quantitative data gathering strategies include experiments/clinical trials; observing and recording well-defined events, for instance, counting the number of patients waiting in emergency at specified times of the day; obtaining relevant data from management information systems; and administering surveys with closed-ended questions such as the face-to face and telephone interviews, and the questionnaires.
"In computer information systems, one of the data collection methods, according to Claire is the Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI). This is a form of personal interviewing, but instead of completing a questionnaire, the interviewer brings along a laptop or hand-held computer to enter the information directly into the database. This method saves time involved in processing the data, as well as saving the interviewer from carrying around hundreds of questionnaires. However, this type of data collection method can be expensive to set up and requires that interviewers have computer and typing skills (Claire)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Addo, B. A. T. Information Systems. 2010. 4th March, 2010. Business Encylopidia. http://www.answers.com/topic/information-systems
- Babbie, E. The Practice of Social Research. Belmont, C. A: Wadsworth Publishing Company. 1989.
- Claire, E. Data Collection Methods. 2010. 4th March, 2010. http://people.uwec.edu/piercech/ResearchMethods/Data%20collection%20met hods/DATA%20COLLECTION%20METHODS.htm
- Cooper, D. R. & Schindler, P. S. Business Research Methods. (9th ed.). NeYork: McGraw-Hill/Irwin Publishers. 2006.
- Kerlinger, F. Foundation of Behavioural Research. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston. 1973.
Cite this Term Paper:
Data Gathering Methods in Computer Information Systems (2013, January 04) Retrieved September 19, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/data-gathering-methods-in-computer-information-systems-152143/
"Data Gathering Methods in Computer Information Systems" 04 January 2013. Web. 19 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/data-gathering-methods-in-computer-information-systems-152143/>