Cyberwar or Cyberterrorism?
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper defines warfare and offers a distinction between cyberwar and cyberterrorism. The paper suggests that cyberwar is a strategic initiative that can only be waged by a government or structured political-military establishment while cyberterrorism is a low intensity action that can be waged by anyone that has knowledge of information technology. The paper discusses how it is more likely that cyberterrorism would be the weapon of war for the cyberbattlefield since it is cheaper to implement and single individuals could be deployed all over the world to initiate their individual cyberattacks or engage in a concerted effort.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Lewis, James A. (2002, December). Assessing the risks of cyber terrorism, cyber war and other cyber threats. [Online] Retrieved May 9, 2008 from the Center for Strategic and International Studies database from the Website: http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/021101_risks_of_cyberterror.pdf.
- Marston, C.A. (2005). Counterinsurgency: What is it and why is it difficult? [Online] Retrieved May 9, 2008 from the Website: http://ccw.politics.ox.ac.uk/events/archives/mt04_marston.ppt.
- Schneier, Bruce. (2008, May 1). "America's dilemma: Close security holes, or exploit them ourselves." Wired. [Online] Retrieved May 9, 2008 from the CondeNet database on the Website: http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/05/blog_securitymatters_0501.
- Schneier, Bruce. (2007, June 4). Schneier on security. [Online] Retrieved May 9, 2008 from the BT Counterpane database on the Website: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/06/cyberwar.html.
- Traynor, Ian. (2007, May 17). "Russia accused of unleashing cyberwar to disable Estonia." The Guardian. [Online] Retrieved May 9, 2008 from the Guardian News and Media Limited database on the Website: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/may/17/topstories3.russia.
Cite this Term Paper:
Cyberwar or Cyberterrorism? (2009, February 19) Retrieved December 02, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/cyberwar-or-cyberterrorism-112307/
"Cyberwar or Cyberterrorism?" 19 February 2009. Web. 02 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/cyberwar-or-cyberterrorism-112307/>