Current Issues in US Healthcare
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines and analyzes current trends and issues in the delivery of healthcare in the US. In particular, the paper focuses on affordability and access which are at the forefront of the healthcare debate. Then, the paper discusses the major providers of pubic health insurance which include Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP. Each program is addressed in detailed paragraphs which highlight the specific benefits and eligibility for each entity. The paper concludes with recommendations for improving healthcare in the US, especially for the most vulnerable populations which are children and the elderly.
Conclusions and Recommendations
Conclusions and Recommendations
From the Paper:"As a solution, the authors suggest that a Medicare buy-in could provide the coverage these adults need to obtain adequate health care. This will require substantial health care reforms, including a consideration of several issues. The extent to which Medicare premiums are subsidized, how Medicare premiums for older adults would compare with those of private insurers, as well as the same comparison of benefits are issues that will need to be addressed during such reforms.
"As mentioned above, another issue faced by Medicare is the difference in regional costs. According to the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (2009), there are wide variations in health care spending across the United States. In some regions, these costs extend as much as three times higher than those in other regions. This is also an issue that needs to be addressed by health care reform. According to the document, the main reason for the price discrepancy is the use and frequency of certain services in the area. This affects the supply and sufficiency of resources, and thus their costs. Medicare reform, operating from an awareness of this problem, is concerned with providing a high level of quality and cost-effective care across the country."
Sample of Sources Used:
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. (2009, Dec.) Explaining Health Care Reform: How do health care costs vary by region? Focus on Health Reform. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/7904-02.pdf
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. (2009). Summar of Key Medicare Provisions in House and Senate Health Reform Bills. Focus on Health Reform. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/7948_HR3962_HR3590_Summary.pdf
- Jacobson, Gretchen, Schwartz, Karyn & Neuman, Tricia. (2009, Dec). Health Insurance Coverage for Older Adults: Implications of a Medicare Buy-In. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation: Focus on Health Reform. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8030.pdf
- Kaiser Commission (2009, Jun). Policy Brief: Medicaid and the Uninsured. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/7914_ES.pdf
- Kaiser Commission (2009, Feb). Policy Brief: The Impact of Medicaid and SCHIP on Low-Income Children's Health. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. http://www.kff.org/medicaid/upload/7645-02.pdf
Cite this Term Paper:
Current Issues in US Healthcare (2012, August 27) Retrieved August 20, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/current-issues-in-us-healthcare-151677/
"Current Issues in US Healthcare" 27 August 2012. Web. 20 August. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/current-issues-in-us-healthcare-151677/>