Culture in Human Relations
This paper discusses the theories of Geer Hofstede, Franz Boas and Harry Triandis on culture in human relations.
# 108217 | 1,694 words | 9 sources | APA | 2008 |
Published on Sep 26, 2008 in Anthropology (Cultural) , Communication (Interpersonal) , Psychology (General) , Sociology (Multiculturalism)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses theories of culture in human relations, focusing on Geer Hofstede, Franz Boas, and Harry Triandis. The paper explains Hofstede's belief that culture creates a pattern of thinking, feeling, and acting that is acquired in early childhood and later shaped by interacting with family members, neighbors or colleagues. The paper also looks at Hofstede's surveys that characterized cultures but notes the criticisms of his work. The paper then looks at Franz Boas' theory of cultural relativism and its criticisms and Harry Triandis' individualism - collectivism theories and their limitations. The paper concludes that given the significant role that culture plays in human relations, its understanding should be seen as a top priority when in a multicultural environment.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cooper, C.R., &Denner, J. (1998). Theories linking cultures and psychology: Universal and Community - Specific Processes. On the Internet at: www.bridgingworlds.org/pdfs/1processes.pdf Retrieved October 3, 2007.
- Hofstede, G., & Hofstede, G.J. (2005). Cultures and Organizations. Software of the Mind. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Husted, B.W. (2001). The impact of individualism and collectivism on ethical decision making. On the Internet at: egade.itesm.mx/investigacion/documentos/documentos/4egade_husted.pdf Retrieved October 3, 2007.
- McSweeney, B. (2002). Hofstede's model of national cultural differences and their consequences: a triumph of faith - a failure of analysis. Human Relations Journal, 55, 89-118.
- Said, W. (1979). Orientalism. New York:Vintage.
Cite this Term Paper:
Culture in Human Relations (2008, September 26) Retrieved December 09, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/culture-in-human-relations-108217/
"Culture in Human Relations" 26 September 2008. Web. 09 December. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/culture-in-human-relations-108217/>