Confidentiality vs. Disclosure Dilemma in Healthcare
A paper discussing the need for patient confidentiality as opposed to the need for disclosure of private information under specific circumstances.
# 147563 | 1,410 words | 10 sources | APA | 2011 |
Published on May 12, 2011 in Medical and Health (Nursing) , Medical and Health (Public Health Issues) , Law (General) , Ethics (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines the patient confidentiality imperative that is fundamental to our health system. The author discusses the history of patient confidentiality, discusses its importance and reviews various standards and regulations regulating patient confidentiality. The paper then goes on to examine the issue of disclosure, when and under which circumstances is disclosure of private information allowed and perhaps even necessary by law.
From the Paper:"Confidentiality in healthcare refers to the safeguarding of private patient information while delivering health care services. According to the Code of Ethics that nurses must follow, it is the duty of nurses to maintain the confidentiality of private information of patients. (Chitty, 2004) The ancient Hippocratic Oath as well as the modern day International Code of Ethics explicitly specifies that patient confidentiality must be maintained by physicians. (Singer; Viens, 2008) However, there may be certain exceptions to this responsibility especially in case where maintaining confidentiality may be harmful to a third-party or the society or if required by law. This is exactly where the dilemma between confidentiality and disclosure of patient information stands."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Agyapong, V.I.O; Kirrane, R; Bangaru, R. (2009) "Medical confidentiality versus disclosure: Ethical and legal dilemmas" Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, vol. 16, pp: 93-96
- Chitty, Kay Kittrell. (2004) "Professional nursing: concepts & challenges" Elsevier Health Sciences.
- DeWolf Bosek, Marcia Sue; Savage, Teresa A. (2006) "The ethical component of nursing education: integrating ethics into clinical experience" Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Erickson, Jeanette Ives; Millar, Sally. (2005) "Caring for Patients While Respecting Their Privacy: Renewing Our Commitment" http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/506840_1
- N. A. (n. d.) "Nursing Assistant Education" http://www.nursingassistanteducation.com/site/courses/eng/nae-conf-eng.php
Cite this Term Paper:
Confidentiality vs. Disclosure Dilemma in Healthcare (2011, May 12) Retrieved August 13, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/confidentiality-vs-disclosure-dilemma-in-healthcare-147563/
"Confidentiality vs. Disclosure Dilemma in Healthcare" 12 May 2011. Web. 13 August. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/confidentiality-vs-disclosure-dilemma-in-healthcare-147563/>