Chemistry of a Fire Extinguisher
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the different compounds used in each type of fire extinguisher. The author states that the chemistry of a fire extinguisher depends on the different types of fires that the extinguisher is made to extinguish. The paper also studies the different types of fires and the proper chemicals that are needed to extinguish the different types of fires.
From the Paper:"The easiest way to extinguish a fire is to spray it with water because the water eliminates the oxygen that is needed to make a fire burn. The main ingredient for a healthy fire is oxygen. In order to reverse the effects of a healthy fire, oxygen must be eliminated. The easiest way to get rid of the oxygen is to replace it with water. The water has one role in extinguishing the fire. First, the water vaporizes. This vapor displaces the oxygen (the volume of water vapor is 1,700 times greater than liquid water), leaving the fire with not enough combustive agent to continue. Because of the vapor, the fire will die out. The vaporization of the water absorbs the heat, cools the smoke, air, walls, and objects in the room."
Sample of Sources Used:
- AGER, JW; TALCOTT, CL; HOWARD, CJ JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS; NOV 15 1986; v.85, no.10, p.5584-5592
- Larsen, ER Journal of Fire Sciences; March 2005; v.23, no.2, p.93-98
- Shmakov, AG; Korobeinichev, OP; Shvartsberg, VM; Yakimov, SA; Knyazkov, DA; Komarov, VF; Sakovich, GV Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves; November 2006; v.42, no.6, p.678-687
- Linteris, GT; Takahashi, F; Katta, VR COMBUSTION AND FLAME; APR 2007; v.149, no.1-2, p.91-103
- Zhang, YF; Lin, L; Jin, X; Huang, X; Liao, GX Process Safety and Environmental Protection; March 2007; v.85, no.2 B, p.147-152
Cite this Term Paper:
Chemistry of a Fire Extinguisher (2008, December 08) Retrieved September 18, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/chemistry-of-a-fire-extinguisher-109821/
"Chemistry of a Fire Extinguisher" 08 December 2008. Web. 18 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/chemistry-of-a-fire-extinguisher-109821/>