Challenging Behavior in the Classroom
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines managing challenging behavior in the classroom by taking a deeper look at its causes. First, the paper presents the factors that affect behavior in the classroom. Then individual theories, such as those of Maslow and Adler, are presented. The paper then describes how teachers can apply these theories to the classroom and manage it more effectively. These approaches involve structuring a physical environment that promotes a healthy learning environment and also rewarding positive behavior. Above all, the paper stressed preventing challenging behavior before it occurs by using the approaches from the beginning of the school year.
From the Paper:"Home, peer group and social factors affect behavior in the classroom; these factors have negative aspects that influence student behaviors. Negative aspects of home environments can be; poverty, child abuse, lack of family support and domestic violence. Challenging behavior can result from many factors such as the environment, classroom setup / dynamics, family, ethnicity and religion. (Arthur-Kelly, et al., 2007). When looking at an individual's ecology the affects of their behavior and the environment can be shaped by the individual, (Cole & Chan, 1994). Students who come from minority groups or disadvantaged homes can suffer from adjustment problems as they seem or feel out of place and have difficulty with new social contexts."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Arthur-Kelly, M., Lyons, G., Butterfield, N., Gordon, C. (2007) Classroom management, creating positive learning environments. 2nd Ed. Australian Ed. South Melbourne, Victoria, Cengage Learning Australia.
- Bowen, Geoff. (2005). Retrieved December 12th, 2009, from http://www.challengingbehavior.org
- Boeree, G. (2006). Retrieved December 6th, 2009, from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/adler.html
- Carlson, N R & Buskist, W. (1997). Psychology; The Science of Behavior. Needham Heights, MA, America: Allyn and Bacon.
- Cole, P. & Chan, L. (1994). Teaching principles and practice. 2nd Ed. Prentice Hall, Australia Pty Ltd.
Cite this Term Paper:
Challenging Behavior in the Classroom (2010, October 16) Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/challenging-behavior-in-the-classroom-144906/
"Challenging Behavior in the Classroom" 16 October 2010. Web. 29 July. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/challenging-behavior-in-the-classroom-144906/>