$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the undeniable influence of American productions on Australian television. The discussion includes a look at American influence on the pay TV sector, in terms of ownership, channels and content, and on free-to-air television in terms of drama, news and current affairs, documentary production and popular American sorts such as situation comedy and soap opera.
From the Paper:"The homogenisation of cultures is impossible as well. As Appadurai states, "people, machines, money, images, and ideas follow increasingly non-isomorphic paths" in the construction of contemporary global cultures . International success of Australian dramas Neighbours and Home and Away can be given example to this unpredictable exchange of cultural goods. American influence can not be denied, as it will be argued throughout the essay, but globalisation is not a one way process and injection of American cultural values into other countries."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ang, Ien, 1995, "The Nature of the Audience" in John Downing et al (eds) Questioning the Media, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, pp 207-220.
- Australian Broadcasting Tribunal, 1991, Oz Content: An inquiry into Australian content on commercial television, Volume One, Pirie Printers, Canberra.
- Bureau of Transport and Communications Economics, 1997, Australian Content on Pay TV, Working Paper:31, AGPS, Canberra.
- Flew, Terry, 1995, "Images of Nation: Economic and Cultural Aspects of Australian Content Regulations for Commercial Television" in J. Craik, J.J. Bailey and A. Moran (eds), Public Voices, Private Interests: Australia's Media Policy, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, pp 73-85.
- Flew, Terry, 2002, "Television and Pay TV" in Stuart Cunningham and Graeme Turner(eds) The Media and Communications in Australia, Allen and Unwin, Crows Nest, pp 173-187.
Cite this Term Paper:
Australian Television (2008, December 17) Retrieved December 05, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/australian-television-110195/
"Australian Television" 17 December 2008. Web. 05 December. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/australian-television-110195/>