Applied Behavior Analysis
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses applied behavior analysis (ABA) and explains that it follows accepted theory that autism is neurologically based and affects a variety of behaviors. An attempt is made in the paper to differentiate between applied behavior analysis (ABA) and any of the myriad programs of behavioral modification which rely on it as a basis for their work. The paper also relates the seven essential elements that make up the ABA approach and provides general recommendations as to what constitutes a good program. The paper contends that parents' first priority must be to have their child evaluated with an acceptable assessment test. The paper then discusses how the goal of applied behavior analysis may be achieved when the child can be satisfactorily mainstreamed.
From the Paper:"Today it is in the news for its use with children, particularly those children diagnosed with autism. But it is important to make the differentiation between ABA and any of the myriad programs of behavioral modification which rely on it as a basis for their work. ABA is not a program in itself. It is a framework for a scientific approach to the problem. It is, rather, an umbrella under which many different systems and theories can operate. It may seem to be splitting hairs, but ABA is not synonymous with any of the various programs which may claim it as their own private domain."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Newman, B. 2002. Graduated Applied Behavior Analysis. Dove and Orca
- Richman, S. 2001. Raising a Child With Autism: A Guide To Applied Behavior Analysis For Parents. Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers Ltd
- ABA Resources. Retrieved 10-18-2006. What is Applied Behavior Analysis?www.rsaffran.tripod/whatisaba.html
- Wallin, J. Retrieved 10-17-2006. Teaching Children With Autism http://www.polyxo.com/aba/
- CARD. Retrieved 10-18-2006. Center for Autism and Related Disorders. http://www.centerforautism.com/aba/whatisaba.asp
Cite this Term Paper:
Applied Behavior Analysis (2009, August 25) Retrieved March 30, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/applied-behavior-analysis-116042/
"Applied Behavior Analysis" 25 August 2009. Web. 30 March. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/applied-behavior-analysis-116042/>