American Influence on Australian English
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses various subsets of the Australian lexicon, one in which either the British or the American word might be used, and another that includes American words that have been in the Australian lexicon for so long that they are no longer considered American. The paper looks at the Australian pronunciation of words, its orthography and its rejection of American syntax. The paper predicts that as communication between English-speaking countries increases, there will be an increased blurring of English lexicons, phonology, orthography and syntax.
From the Paper:"There is little doubt that modern Australian English is substantially influenced by American culture and language. According to McLeod, as early as the mid-1850's, guardians of Standard English worried that the current culture tended "to foster an Australian dialect which bids fair to surpass the American in disagreeableness" (McLeod 1963:128). Such British disdain for its colonies led to Australian disillusion with England and affinity with America during World War I (Morgan 1999:81). While linguists may disagree as to the extent to which Australian English has been imported from America, many concur that Australians identify more closely with America than they do with Great Britain."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bex, T. & Watts, R.J. 1999. Standard English: The Widening Debate. London: Routledge. 124-126.
- McHan, T.W. & Scott, C.T. (eds) 1992. English in Its Social Contexts: Essays in Historical Sociolinguistics. New York: Oxford University Press. 221-222.
- McLeod, A.L. 1963. The Pattern of Australian Culture. Ithaca, NY:Cornell University Press. 127-128.
- Morgan, P. 1999. Europe from Down Under: A Case-Study in the Development of European Studies Programmes outside Europe. Journal of European Studies 29(1). 79-91.
- Peters, P. 1998. Australian English. In Bell, P. & Bell, R. (eds), Americanisation and Australia. Sydney: University of New South Wales Press. 32-44.
Cite this Term Paper:
American Influence on Australian English (2010, June 01) Retrieved March 06, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/american-influence-on-australian-english-120001/
"American Influence on Australian English" 01 June 2010. Web. 06 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/american-influence-on-australian-english-120001/>