All About Cloning
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper looks at how cloning evokes powerful emotions - for some, it evokes hope of miraculous cures for the paralyzed and the terminally ill; for others it evokes spiritual horror and a dread of where human science is taking us. This essay examines the facts that lie beyond these two extreme reactions.
From the Paper:"To the best of our knowledge, a human being has not yet been created in this manner. However, many other animals have been created by cloning, and some of us may even have eaten cloned animals without even knowing it! In fact, it is estimated that at the moment there are some 200 cloned cattle in the USA, and it is thought that some of them are being used for breeding (Ruse and Sheppard). Of more concern is the fact that this scientific process continues to be used to create human embryos for medical research purposes. However, it is strictly limited by most governments, including the US government (Dunn). This kind of cloning is referred to as therapeutic cloning. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bay, Michael. (Director). The Island. Dream Works Pictures, 2005.
- BBC News. "1997: Dolly the Sheep is Cloned." 2007. Retrieved from web site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/22/newsid_4245000/4245877.stm.
- CNN.Com. Health. (June 10, 2004). "First Lady: Stem-Cell Research Ethical Balancing Act." Retrieved from web site: http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/06/09/firstlady.stemcell/.
- Coghlan, Andy. "Ban Cloning babies, Demand World's Top Scientists." New Scientist Online News. Sept. 22nd, 2003. Retrieved from website: http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/cloning/ cloning.jsp?id=ns99994186.
- Dunn, Kyla. "Cloning Trevor: Granted Rare Access to the Labs of Advanced Cell Technology, the Only U.S. Group Openly Pursuing Human Cloning Research for Medical Purposes ..." The Atlantic Monthly, 289 (June 2002): 431-436.
Cite this Term Paper:
All About Cloning (2008, May 30) Retrieved February 27, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/all-about-cloning-103960/
"All About Cloning" 30 May 2008. Web. 27 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/all-about-cloning-103960/>