Advanced Practice Nursing
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the different competencies of an advanced practice nurse (APN) and how they are closely related to each other. The paper discusses direct care by the APN, as well as teaching and coaching. It discusses how these competencies have a direct impact on patient care. It also looks at how they impact the development of non-clinical competencies.
From the Paper:"While there are distinct advantages to the DNP program, there are disadvantages to its widespread implementation and possibly surpassing the masters in science in nursing (MSN) as the terminal degree. There is the possibility, as with all programs at the advanced degree level, that curriculum content may be in-depth in some areas while neglected in others. Another disadvantage is that, as an entry-level degree, DNP candidates may not possess adequate prior clinical experience that the APN candidate possesses, as it was also intended to attract individuals with non-nursing backgrounds. As a rigorous program that seeks to help candidates achieve end competencies, the clinically inexperienced DNP candidate may encounter "practical" knowledge gaps that may have to be covered by a longer course length."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). (2006). The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. AACN.org. Retrieved November 4, 2006 from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/DNP/pdf/Essentials.pdf
- American Nurses Association (ANA). (2001). Code of ethics for nurses with interpretive statements. NursingWorld.com. Retrieved November 4, 2006 from http://www.nursingworld.org/ethics/code/protected_nwcoe303.htm#prov4
- Bryant-Lukosius D, Dicenso A, Browne G & Pinelli J. (2004). Advanced practice nursing roles: development, implementation and evaluation. J Adv Nurs., 48(5), 519-29. Retrieved November 3, 2006 from the PubMed database.
- DePalma, JN. (2004). Advanced Practice Nurses' research competencies: competency II--evaluating practice. Home Health Care Management & Practice, 16(4), 293-295. Retrieved November 4, 2006 from http://hhc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/16/4/293.pdf
- Klein, TA. (2005). Scope of practice and the Nurse Practitioner: regulation, competency expansion and evolution. Topics in Advanced Practice Nursing eJournal, 5(2). Retrieved November 4, 2006 from http://www.osbn.state.or.us/OSBN/pdfs/KleinMedscapeArticle.pdf
Cite this Term Paper:
Advanced Practice Nursing (2007, December 17) Retrieved August 14, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/advanced-practice-nursing-100169/
"Advanced Practice Nursing" 17 December 2007. Web. 14 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/advanced-practice-nursing-100169/>