Abraham Lincoln as a Leader
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The purpose of this paper is to discuss President Abraham Lincoln's leadership traits and what made him a great leader. It looks at how President Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth president of the United States, was perhaps one of the greatest leaders in the nation's history and how he embodied many of the qualities of a good leader, from empathy and sympathy to strong, ethical leadership when the country, divided by Civil War, needed a strong, courageous and yet sympathetic leader. The paper also examines how, throughout his administration and reelection, Lincoln demonstrated many leadership concepts which inspired the American people.
From the Paper:"Abraham Lincoln had several traits that qualified him to lead the country. First, he was an excellent communicator, as some of his speeches and letters clearly show. A leadership expert offers this assessment of the importance of communication in a leader. He writes, "Leaders who operate aloof of the people, pass the buck but keep the bucks and look for scapegoats, can't use communication for persuasive end. If you didn't identify with the problem, the workforce would perceive your motivation as condemnation and seek defense" (Kumuyi, 2007). Lincoln was not aloof at all, he involved himself in every aspect of the presidency, showed interest and involvement in the people who came to him for favors or advice, and showed leadership traits that showed he was a strong and moral leader. For example, Lincoln was honest, even brutally honest to the American people about the heavy cost of the Civil War. Another biographer notes, "Yet Lincoln's words and conduct as war leader and definer of the conflict runs against the usual definition of the American character."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Elshtain, J. B. (1999, November). Abraham Lincoln & the last best hope. First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion and Public Life 43.
- Gienapp, W. E. (2002). Abraham Lincoln and Civil War America: A biography. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kumuyi, W. F. (2007, August/September). Seven communication tips an effective leader must have. New African 22+.
- Rawley, J. A. (2003). Abraham Lincoln and a nation worth fighting for. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.
- Root, E. (2008). Lincoln as a leader of men. Retrieved 23 April 2009 from the TeachingAmericanHistory.org Web site: http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=813.
Cite this Term Paper:
Abraham Lincoln as a Leader (2011, September 27) Retrieved October 02, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/abraham-lincoln-as-a-leader-148204/
"Abraham Lincoln as a Leader" 27 September 2011. Web. 02 October. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/abraham-lincoln-as-a-leader-148204/>