Aboriginal Survivors of Residential Schools
An examination of the history of child abuse of Aboriginal female students in residential schools and the investigations that have been conducted into the situation.
# 109348 | 4,044 words | 10 sources | MLA | 2008 |
Published on Nov 28, 2008 in Canadian Studies (Government and Government Policy) , Canadian Studies (First Nations) , Canadian Studies (History, Culture)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the recently examined cases of child abuse of female aboriginal children in resdential schools in Canada. It describes the history of the schools and how the aboriginal children came to be in them. The paper discusses the results of the investigation conducted by the Law Commission of Canada (LLC) into child abuse within the schools and looks at the LLC report, "Restoring Dignity: Responding to Child Abuse in Canadian Institutions," which was released in 2000. The paper contains slides on the topic entitled "Female Aboriginal Survivors of Canadian Residential Schools Or How to Find Healing".
Sample of Sources Used:
- Aboriginal People, Resilience and the Residential School Legacy. Published by Aboriginal Healing Foundation . 2003 . Ottawa, Ontario.
- Buti, Antonio. "Responding to the legacy of Canadian Residential Schools." Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law. Dec 2001. Website: <http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issues/v8n4/buti84.html>.
- Equay-wuk Women's Group, "Sexual Violence." Aboriginal Nurse, The. Sioux Lookout, Ontario, 1996.
- Fournier, Suzanne and Ernie Crey. "Killing the Indian in the Child" Stolen from Our Embrace: The Abduction of First Nations Children and the Restoration of Aboriginal Communities. Vancouver: Douglas and McIntyre, 1997.
- Iwasaki, Y., Bartlett, J. and O'Neil, J. "An examination of stress among Aboriginal women and men with diabetes in Manitoba, Canada." Ethnicity and Health. Vol. 9(2), May 2003,
Cite this Term Paper:
Aboriginal Survivors of Residential Schools (2008, November 28) Retrieved February 05, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/aboriginal-survivors-of-residential-schools-109348/
"Aboriginal Survivors of Residential Schools" 28 November 2008. Web. 05 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/aboriginal-survivors-of-residential-schools-109348/>