Waterfront Development in Toronto Research Paper by Quality Writers
Waterfront Development in Toronto
An analysis of the proposals set forward for improving Toronto's waterfront.
# 99799 | 1,547 words | 10 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Nov 30, 2007 in Canadian Studies (Government and Government Policy) , Environmental Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the various development alternatives put forward in recent years by Toronto's leaders as they sought to address the city's waterfront concerns. It describes what these policy decisions have meant (or are likely to mean) for the city's tourist industry, for its businesses and for the less-fortunate who find themselves without proper shelter elsewhere in the metropolis. The paper then looks at which of the policy proposals unveiled since the turn of the millennium seems the most promising and "cost-effective" avenue to pursue.
From the Paper:"For one thing, it appears as though policy proposals in the early 1970s focused upon both economic development and beautification concerns, with scant evidence being given to environmental considerations. For example, the 1972 Harbor front Project was an attempt to take the 92-acre site in the western half of the city's "central urban" waterfront and make it into a money-making, mixed-use area. In the early stages, the idea was to turn the entire location into a park, but the evidence suggests that this was gradually de-emphasized as the 1970s progressed. In any case, the Harbor front Corporation which was set up by the federal government to explore what could be done with Toronto's "harbor-scape" was seemingly even less interested in a huge park than were the politicians and the 1980s saw determined efforts to get private business organizations and investors to develop the area."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bennett, Ray, & Peter Pryor. "Toronto Brass Gets a Look at 4 Proposals to Build Mega-Studio on City's Waterfront." Hollywood Reporter 13 Jan. 2004: 50.
- Chisholm, P., & I. Mather. "On the Waterfront." Maclean's, 9 Jul. 1990: 32-34.
- Gordon, David L.A. "Financing Urban Waterfront Development." Journal of the American Planning Association, 63.2 (1997): 244+. Questia.com. 15 Oct. 2006 <http://questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5000443236>
- Gordon, David L.A. "Managing the Changing Political Environment in Urban Waterfront Re-development." Urban Studies, 34.1 (1997): 61-83.
- "Harbourfront's Future." Maclean's, 17 Apr. 1995: 19.
Cite this Research Paper:
Waterfront Development in Toronto (2007, November 30) Retrieved March 24, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/waterfront-development-in-toronto-99799/
"Waterfront Development in Toronto" 30 November 2007. Web. 24 March. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/waterfront-development-in-toronto-99799/>