Title IX: The Study and Analysis of a Good Thing Gone Wrong
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the history and nature of Title IX legislation, which was introduced and created to promote equality amongst the sexes in sports. This paper examines how in practice, despite the good intentions of the legislation, this legislation adversely affects male intercollegiate athletes.
From the Paper:Although there has been much opposition against gender equality in sports, there has been a huge increase in the participation of females in sports within the last 30 years. Women were not expected to play sports since it went against the female gender role. Therefore, women did not have the opportunity to play a sport even if they wanted to since all sport teams were male. The global women's movement started to change the classical gender role of women and opened up more opportunities...
Sample of Sources Used:
- Lynch, MW.. "Title IX's Pyrrhic." Reason Online Apr. 2001. 27 Nov. 2006 http://www.reason.com/news/show/27986.html
- The College Sports Council "Coaches Praise New Title IX Reform." 22 Mar. 2005. 27 Nov. 2006 http://www.savingsports.org/newsroom/display_releases.cfm
- Mamorsky, Jordan. "Shown the door: Vandy cites Title IX in wiping out men's soccer program." SI On Campus 1 Feb. 2006. 27 Nov. 2006 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/sioncampus/02/01/vandy.soccer/index.html
- Swift, E.M.. "Gender inequality: Title IX was necessary then, but now it's just unfair." Sports llustrated 10 Oct. 2006. 27 Nov. 2006 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/em_swift/10/10/title.ix/index.html
- Redden, Elizabeth. "Rally for Title IX Changes." Inside Higher Ed 3 Nov. 2006. 27 Nov. 2005 http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/11/03/jmu
Cite this Research Paper:
Title IX: The Study and Analysis of a Good Thing Gone Wrong (2010, February 15) Retrieved January 24, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/title-ix-the-study-and-analysis-of-a-good-thing-gone-wrong-118666/
"Title IX: The Study and Analysis of a Good Thing Gone Wrong" 15 February 2010. Web. 24 January. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/title-ix-the-study-and-analysis-of-a-good-thing-gone-wrong-118666/>