An examination of civil rights cases in the Supreme Court, in the post-Reconstruction period.
# 93490 | 2,301 words | 15 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Mar 20, 2007 in African-American Studies (1870-1950) , Law (Constitution) , African-American Studies (Racism) , African-American Studies (Civil Rights) , Law (Historic Trials)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The writer argues that one of the major reasons why African-Americans failed to achieve equality in the United States, following the Civil War, is due to the decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States. The writer proposes that this makes it necessary to examine the records of this branch of the American government in order to determine how these decisions impacted African-Americans after the Civil War. The paper analyzes five important Supreme Court cases adjudicated following the war, which made equality in the United States impossible for African-Americans. The paper concludes that these decisions of the Supreme Court undermined the ability of African-Americans to obtain equality under the law and had a very detrimental effect on this brave and often dangerous quest to gain equality in America during the days of the post-Reconstruction Era.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Foy, Laurence. "The Agony of Lynching." Online Image. 1920. The History of Jim Crow.11 March, 2006. Http://www.jimcrowhistory.org/scripts/jimcrow/gallery.cgi?collection=segregation.
- McPherson, James, M. "Abolitionists and the Civil Rights Act of 1875." Journal of American History. 52.3 (Dec. 1965): 493-510.
- "Negro Expulsion from Railway Car, Philadelphia" Online Image. 1896. The History of Jim Crow. 11 March, 2006. Http://www.jimcrowhistory.org/ scripts/jimcrow/gallery.cgi?=collection =segregation.
- Painter, Nell. Creating Black Americans. New York: Oxford Press, 2006.
- Pheffer, Leo. This Honorable Court: A History of the United States Supreme Court. Boston: Hippocrene Books, Inc., 1965.
Cite this Research Paper:
The Supreme Court And Civil Rights (2007, March 20) Retrieved December 02, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/the-supreme-court-and-civil-rights-93490/
"The Supreme Court And Civil Rights" 20 March 2007. Web. 02 December. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/the-supreme-court-and-civil-rights-93490/>