Reading Comprehension: A Literature Review
An examination of the comprehension levels of students given a free choice of reading materials versus those who read only assigned materials.
# 92984 | 1,191 words | 7 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Mar 06, 2007 in Education (Curriculum) , Education (Reading) , Psychology (Motivation Studies)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The intent of the literature review is to determine whether evidence exists supporting the use of a choice of reading materials in the classroom, as a tool for promoting greater reading ability and comprehension. The writer proposes that there is a clear need for educators to adopt a more open-minded perspective regarding reading comprehension in the classroom.The paper examines how one way that administrators can motivate students is by providing them with access to a diverse selection of comprehensive reading materials. These reading materials will engage their personal interests and provide them with challenging but interesting material to review and interpret.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cheak, M. & Wessel, J. (2005). "Research in reading notes from the center for illiteracy control (CIC): A report on current research in the field of literacy." Illinois Reading Council Journal, 33(3): 60-62.
- Corio, J. (2003). "Reading comprehension on the Internet: Expanding our understanding of reading comprehension to encompass new literacy's." The Reading Teacher, 56(5): 458.
- Schraw, G., Flowerday, T. & Reisetter, M.F. (1998). "The role of choice in reader engagement." Journal of Educational Psychology, 90(4): 705-714.
- Snow, C. (2002). "Reading for understanding: Toward an R&D program in reading comprehension." Santa Monica: Rand
- Stevens, K. (1980). "The effect of topic interest on the reading comprehension of higher ability students." Journal of Educational Research, 73(6): 365.
Cite this Research Paper:
Reading Comprehension: A Literature Review (2007, March 06) Retrieved December 04, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/reading-comprehension-a-literature-review-92984/
"Reading Comprehension: A Literature Review" 06 March 2007. Web. 04 December. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/reading-comprehension-a-literature-review-92984/>