Racial Profiling by the Police
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the concept of racial profiling by the police. It discusses the police reasoning behind this practice and presents their belief of its necessity. The paper then goes on to conduct a literary review of current outstanding research, as well as include what is believed to be the best alternative to creating an effective profiling approach to policing.
Table of Contents:
Table of Contents:
From the Paper:"Profiling in and of itself is not defined as the targeting of individuals based upon race, creed, sex, or other physical characteristics. Instead, profiling "refers to the practice of ascribing certain behavior to a certain personal characteristic." Over time however, profiling behavior began to shift towards profiling based upon physical characteristics (Petrocelli, 2006). Whether this is due to discrimination or other factors are not important, what is important is that to many, profiling has profound positive and negative consequences (and connotations)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Civil Liberties Union. (2005, November 23). Racial Profiling: Old and New. Retrieved November 25, 2006, from the World Wide Web: <http://www.aclu.org/racialjustice/racialprofiling/index.html>
- Becker, Stan. (2004). Assessing the use of profiling in searches by law enforcement personnel. Journal of Criminal Justice, 32(3), 183-193.
- Garrett, Brandon. (2000). Standing While Black: Distinguishing "Lyon" in Racial Profiling Cases. Columbia Law Review, 100(7), 1815 - 1846.
- Glaser, Jack. (2006). The Efficacy and Effect of Racial Profiling. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 25(2), 395 - 416.
- Gross, Samuel R., & Barnes, Katherine Y. (2002). Road Work: Racial Profiling and Drug Interdiction on the Highway. Michigan Law Review, 101(3), 651 - 754.
Cite this Research Paper:
Racial Profiling by the Police (2007, January 30) Retrieved April 19, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/racial-profiling-by-the-police-91533/
"Racial Profiling by the Police" 30 January 2007. Web. 19 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/racial-profiling-by-the-police-91533/>