Playing with Food: Hidden Sugars
A study on sugars hidden in so-called sugar-free samples, as scientifically detected by the Benedict's Test.
# 95522 | 1,604 words | 5 sources | APA | 2006 |
Published on May 26, 2007 in Medical and Health (Nutrition and Exercise) , Nutrition (Food) , Medical and Health (Public Health Issues) , Nutrition (General) , Chemistry (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper takes a look at our health-conscious society, which indulges in the use of sugar-free foods and beverages that have steadily dominated the market. The paper discusses how recent controversies that question product credibility have circulated, thus prompting various analyses on food content. By using the principles behind the Benedict's test, this study employs techniques used to test the presence of chemical compounds in food, particularly in sugar-free samples.
From the Paper:"While the Benedict's reagent can analyze the sugar content of most food products, the conducted experiment focused on sugar-free samples alone. Presenting novel results, this smaller scope diverts from previous experiments involving pure sugar concentrates."
"For the experiment, distilled water, small samples of selected sugar-free food, and a small bottle of Benedict's solution were prepared. Along with test tubes equivalent in number to the samples tested, the experiment required laboratory equipments inclusive of a Bunsen burner, a tripod, a dropper, and a beaker."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Fennema, O. R. (1985). Food Chemistry. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Ohio University. (n. d.). Benedict's Test for Reducing Sugars. Retrieved on March 6, 2007 from http://www.biosci.ohiou.edu/introbioslab/Bios170/170_2/benedict.htm.
- Rothery, M. (n. d.). Testing Chemical Compounds. Retrieved on March 9, 2007 from http://www.mrothery.co.uk/module1/Mod%201%20techniques.htm
- Wikipedia. (n. d.). Reducing Sugars. Retrieved on March 4, 2007 from http://en.wikipeda.org/reducing_sugars.
- Wikipedia. (n. d.). Benedict's Test. Retrieved on March 4, 2007 from http://en.wikipeda.org/benedicts_test.
Cite this Research Paper:
Playing with Food: Hidden Sugars (2007, May 26) Retrieved March 06, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/playing-with-food-hidden-sugars-95522/
"Playing with Food: Hidden Sugars" 26 May 2007. Web. 06 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/playing-with-food-hidden-sugars-95522/>