Pars Plana Vitrectomy
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper presents an overview of pars plana vitrectomy. It explains the development and history of vitrectomy, including how it was first performed and how the technique has been improved over the years. The paper then gives a detailed description of the tools used in the surgery and other procedures that are performed with vitrectomy. The paper concludes by describing the advantages and disadvantages of the surgery.
From the Paper:"A pars plana vitrectomy is a surgical procedure in which specialized instruments and techniques are used to repair retinal disorders and treat vitreoretinal diseases. During the surgery, the vitreous (the clear liquid that fills the area between the lens and the retina) is partially or completely removed and replaced with a clear fluid or gas. The pars plana vitrectomy procedure is a major medical advancement that allows treatment of retinal disorders and prevention of vision loss in patients who alternatively would become blind."
"Before the invention of the pars plana vitrectomy, a vitreous surgery called the "open sky" technique was developed in 1968 by David Kasner to remove all diseased vitreous within the eye (Stone 127). David Kaisner is the first surgeon who intentionally removed as much of diseases vitreous as possible and demonstrated that this is tolerated by the eye. However, it quickly became evident that the technique Kasner performed on his patients had some problems. The procedure involved removing the lens of the eye resulting in aphakia, the absence of the lens, which could lead to the detachment of the vitreous or retina (Stone 127). Also, irritation of the iris during vitreous removal resulted in a severe inflammatory reaction."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dennis, Eleanor. Personal interview. 23 Sept. 2006.
- ---. Personal interview. 27 Nov. 2006.
- Ho, Patrick C.P. "Closed Pars Plana Vitrectomy- A Review of the Surgical Objectives." Vision: Structure and Function. Eds. D T Yew, K F So, and D S.C. Tsang. Singapore: World Scientific, 1988. 116-28.
- Machemer, Richard. "The Development of the Pars Plana Vitrectomy: A Personal Account." Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 233.8 (Aug. 1995): 453-68.
- ---. Vitrectomy: A Pars Plana Approach. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1975. 1+.
Cite this Research Paper:
Pars Plana Vitrectomy (2007, October 18) Retrieved May 26, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/pars-plana-vitrectomy-98814/
"Pars Plana Vitrectomy" 18 October 2007. Web. 26 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/pars-plana-vitrectomy-98814/>