Native Americans and the Colonists
This paper explores the differences in belief systems of the Native Americans and European colonists.
# 93904 | 1,736 words | 7 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Apr 13, 2007 in History (U.S. American Society, 1640-1750) , History (U.S. Colonization of North America) , History (European - 16th Century) , Native-American Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper describes the differing beliefs and outlooks of the Native Americans versus the European Colonists in the early 1600s. This author evaluates their differing views on such topics as technology, religion, the environment, women's rights, and slavery. The paper gives an honest appraisal of both sides' views and prejudices about the other. The author concludes that these base differences between the two sets of peoples, the Europeans and the Native Americans, were what sparked the distrust held by both nations that endured for hundreds of years.
From the Paper:"The European colonists and the Native Americans of North American had very different views on nearly everything they encountered in their lives. Living in vastly different cultures lead both groups to generally have two extremely different outlooks on four main topics; religious beliefs, the environment, social relations, and slavery, differences which the colonists used this to their advantage when conquering the peoples of the New World."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Taylor, Alan. American Colonies. Middlesex, England: Viking Penguin, 2001.
- Jackson, Helen Hunt. Century of Dishonor. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Ross and Hanes, Inc.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. New York, New York: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- The Holy Bible Revised Standard Version. Philadelphia: Westminster, 1952.
- "Native American Fighting Styles" 2007. Wikipedia. 8 March 2007.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_fighting_styles>
Cite this Research Paper:
Native Americans and the Colonists (2007, April 13) Retrieved September 19, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/native-americans-and-the-colonists-93904/
"Native Americans and the Colonists" 13 April 2007. Web. 19 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/native-americans-and-the-colonists-93904/>