Jean Watson's Caring Theory
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses concepts of nursing to help improve outcomes for patients while providing structure for clinical care. The paper reflects on the research of the theories, which suggest that certain paradigms and concepts have greater applicability to clinical practice. The paper discusses Jean Watson's caring theory and suggests that this theory provides a valuable asset that can be used to improve practice and facilitate positive outcomes for patients.
From the Paper:"Cara (2003) goes on to note that there are three specific dimensions of Watson's caring theory. These include the following:
- Carative Factors: Cara notes that carative factors were first developed by Watson in 1979 and revised in 1985. According to Watson, carative factors are those that "honor the human dimensions of nursing's work and the inner life world and subjective experiences of the people we serve" (p. 52). In total there are 10 carative factors that include: humanistic-altruistic system of value; faith-hope; sensitivity to self and others; helping-trusting, human care relationship; expressing positive and negative feelings; creating problem-solving caring process; transpersonal teaching and learning; supportive, protective, and/or corrective mental, physical, social and spiritual involvement; human needs assistance; and existential-phenomenological spiritual force."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Breslin, E. (2002). Challenges of outcomes research for nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 14(3), 138-143.
- Cara, C. (2003). A pragmatic view of Jean Watson's caring theory. International Journal for Human Caring, 7(3), 51-61.
- Driscoll, A. (2005). A historical review of the nurse practitioner role in Australia. Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners, 9(3), 141-152.
- McCance, T.V., McKenna, H.P., Boore, J.R.P., et al., (1999). Caring: Theoretical perspectives of relevance to nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 30(6), 1388-1395.
- Ryan, L.A. (2005). The journey to integrate Watson's caring theory with clinical practice. International Journal for Human Caring, 9(3), 26-30.
Cite this Research Paper:
Jean Watson's Caring Theory (2008, July 22) Retrieved December 07, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/jean-watson-caring-theory-105995/
"Jean Watson's Caring Theory" 22 July 2008. Web. 07 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/jean-watson-caring-theory-105995/>