$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper begins with a biography of Isabelle Allende. It shows the turning point in her life when her uncle, the president of Chile was overthrown. It then outlines her novel "Casa de los Espiritus" and compares it to her life. It emphasizes the Chilean government and discusses the irony and magical realism in the novel. The paper also examines religion and its effect on her life and beliefs.
From the Paper:"The most interesting thing about the novel, though, was its connection with real life. Upon reading about Allende, the reader finds that the characters are based on her own family, and there is a real element of telepathy in Isabel's life. Clara, one of the main characters is based on Isabel's grandmother. She is similar in many ways. She tells Isabel stories, she performs telepathy, and she is very close to both her daughter and granddaughter in spirit. Esteban was also based on a family member, her grandfather. He was a strong man like the character of Esteban. The difference, though, between Esteban and her grandfather was that her grandfather wouldn't pour out his feelings to his granddaughter. This is why the story was written with using the memories of Clara, to give it a different background. (Gautier 18) "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Allende, Isabel. The House of the Spirits. New York: Knopf, 1985.
- Gautier, Marie-Lise Gazarian. Interviews with Latin American Writers. Elmwood Park, IL: Dalkey, 1989.
- Hernandez, Carmen Delores. "The many lives of Isabel Allende." 23 Apr. 1996. Abalon <http://www.abalon.com/english/magazine/Arts_Letters/Allende/!index.htm>
- "Hispanic Heritage Awards: 1996 Award Honorees." 8 Nov. 1998. <http://www.hhawards.org/1996.htm>
- The House of the Spirits. By Isabel Allende. Dir. Bille August. Miramax, 1993.
Cite this Research Paper:
Isabelle Allende (2007, May 22) Retrieved February 28, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/isabelle-allende-95420/
"Isabelle Allende" 22 May 2007. Web. 28 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/isabelle-allende-95420/>