Impact of Racial Discrimination on Self-Esteem
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the impact of racial discrimination on the developmental process, focusing on the effects of racism and the mitigating role of protecting factors. A concise definition of racism is given based on the systematic discrimination against others. The effect of racism on the developmental process is examined through the presentation and examination of a model of racial identity. The impact of racism on self-esteem is also studied by defining and exploring models of self-esteem. Protecting factors are presented to explain the results of research findings on increased levels of self-esteem in African Americans relative to Caucasian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans and Native Americans. A review of previous research findings concludes that while racism does negatively impact African American, a unique protecting factor appears to have an increasingly mitigating effect on levels of self-esteem.
Effects of Racism on Self-Esteem
Effects of Racism on Self-Esteem
From the Paper:"According to Quintana (2007) holding stereotypical beliefs about racial groups is not necessarily a problem in itself, even if it's negative. However, it does become a problem when it influences the way individuals treat others based on stereotypical beliefs, and in general, the stereotypical beliefs about African American's are much more negative than those held about other minority groups. In their research on the social construction of Race, Shih et al. (2007) asserted that, there are larger trait and characteristic variations within than between races, and that no single human characteristic can be identified as exclusive to a particular race or group to the exclusion of other races. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Goff, P., Eberhardt, J., Williams, M., & Jackson, M. (2008, February). Not yet human: Implicit knowledge, historical dehumanization, and contemporary consequences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94 (2), 292-306. Retrieved February 10, 2008, from psycARTICLES database.
- Linder, D. (2007) Exploring Constitutional Law. Retrieved March 3, 2008, from www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/home.html.
- Quintana, S. (2007, July). Racial and ethnic identity: Developmental perspectives and research. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 54(3), 259-270. Retrieved February 10, 2008, from PsycARTICLES database.
- Rowley, S., Sellers, R., Chavous, T., & Smith, M. (1998, March). The relationship between racial identity and self-esteem in African American college and high school students. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(3), 715-724.
- Utsey, S., Giesbrecht, N., Hook, J., & Stanard, P. (2008, January). Cultural, sociofamilial, and psychological resources that inhibit psychological distress in African Americans exposed to stressful life events and race-related stress. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 55(1), 49-62. Retrieved February 10, 2008, from PsycARTICLES database.
Cite this Research Paper:
Impact of Racial Discrimination on Self-Esteem (2010, June 08) Retrieved April 18, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/impact-of-racial-discrimination-on-self-esteem-120276/
"Impact of Racial Discrimination on Self-Esteem" 08 June 2010. Web. 18 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/impact-of-racial-discrimination-on-self-esteem-120276/>