How the Structure of DNA Was Discovered
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how the structure of DNA was discovered. It goes through the discovery that DNA was the holder of genetic material within a cell to Watson and Crick's infamous model of the structure. The paper includes a heavy emphasis on gender roles in the post World War II science society. The paper also briefly describes the book, "What is Life" written in 1944 by Erwin Schrodinger.
From the Paper:"After World War 2, there was a great upsurge in the study of DNA. Scientists, returning home after having been called away to contribute to the war effort (contributions being the use of their skills to create better, more intelligent weapons), arrived home to discover a new idea in the field of genetics. The book, "What is Life" written in 1944 by Erwin SchrA dinger as a collection of lectures, lead many scientists for the first time to really consider the causes and effects of genetic heredity; it became very popular among the university crowd and anyone worth their scientific mettle had read it and had an opinion on the subject of the "code of genetic inheritance". SchrA dinger heavily influenced the people who were later to discover the structure of DNA by making them ask the question, "What causes genetic material to be passed to offspring?" a question which had plagued science ever since man had been capable of intelligent thought."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Watson, James D. The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA. New York, NY: Scribner, 1968
- Sayre, Anne. Rosalind Franklin & DNA. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress Cataloguing and Publishing Data, 1975
- Maddox, Brenda. Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA. New York, NY : HarperCollins Publishers Inc., 2002
- White, Michael. Acid Tongues and Tranquil Dreamers. New York, NY : HarperCollins Publishers Inc., 2001
- "Erwin Chargaff Papers." American Philosophical Society. < http://www.amphilsoc.org/library/mole/c/chargaff.htm>
Cite this Research Paper:
How the Structure of DNA Was Discovered (2007, February 04) Retrieved August 15, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/how-the-structure-of-dna-was-discovered-91669/
"How the Structure of DNA Was Discovered" 04 February 2007. Web. 15 August. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/how-the-structure-of-dna-was-discovered-91669/>