Gender Roles and Societal Views of Rape
This essay examines gender stratification in American society and how the power dichotomy between genders relates to rape, one of the most frequent and violent crimes in our society.
# 119770 | 3,445 words | 6 sources | APA | 2010 |
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay examines gender stratification in American society and how the power dichotomy between genders relates to rape, one of the most frequent and violent crimes in our society. The paper delves into the respective roles socialization and biology play in the American definition of gender identity. Further, the paper explores the factors that influence a man to rape and the factors that affect how America views rape, and in turn the rapist and victim, as a society. It finds that rape is a byproduct of a categorized, controlled and subservient society. Finally, the paper challenges the reader to answer the question, "What can be done?"
From the Paper:"Fausto-Sterling devotes a great deal of time to showing us how gender is defined, and how the standards of gender are introduced and enforced. From the moment of birth, the most important question to many people is "is it a boy or a girl?" From this point onward, the child will be put on a path towards either being a man or a woman, and will be treated differently depending upon the biological sex (Fausto-Sterling, 2000)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Fausto-Sterling, Anne (2000). Sexing the Body Basic Books, New York.
- Fausto-Sterling, A. (2000). Sexing the Body. Basic Books, New York.
- Foucault, M. (1978). The History of Sexuality: An Introduction, Volume 1Vintage Books, New York.
- Hengehold, L. (2000). Remapping the event: Institutional discourses and the trauma of rape. Signs, Autumn 2000, Vol. 26, No. 1. Research Library
- Knapp, C. (2003). Appetites: Why Women Want. Counterpoint, New York.
Cite this Research Paper:
Gender Roles and Societal Views of Rape (2010, May 24) Retrieved February 24, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/gender-roles-and-societal-views-of-rape-119770/
"Gender Roles and Societal Views of Rape" 24 May 2010. Web. 24 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/gender-roles-and-societal-views-of-rape-119770/>