Finnish Heavy Metal Music as Cultural Identity
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this paper, the author describes the cultural importance of heavy metal music in Finland, seeing it as deeply imbued with ancient folklore, historical memories and national romanticism. The paper further elaborates that this music enables a nation that has been silent to be heard. Five categories of Finnish heavy metal music, Nature, the Past, the Epic, Folk and the classical/Romantic are explored in detail. Then, the nature of their role in the music and how they communicate Finnish-ness and cultural identity is examined. Lyrics from several songs are included in the paper. The paper also includes a selected discography and recommendations for further listening.
From the Paper:"There are several elements commonly present in Finnish heavy metal music that particularly orient it toward this form of cultural expression. These can be organized into five signs, aspects of the music as a whole that communicate Finnish-ness. These have been designated as Nature, the Past, the Epic, Folk and the classical/Romantic. Each of these categories will be explored in detail as it pertains to Finnish heavy metal. Once the existence of these signs has been established as an integrated component of the music, an examination of the nature of their role in the music and how they communicate Finnish-ness and cultural identity can begin."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bosley, Keith. Introduction. The Kalevala. By Elias Lonnrot. New York: Oxford University, 1989.
- Maenpaa, Jari. Email interview. March 8, 2006.
- Riekki, Matti. "From the Smith of Ilmarinen: Kalevala and Heavy Metal." Inspired by Tradition: Kalevala Poetry in Finnish Music. Ed. Jutta Jaakkola and Aarne Toivonen. Helsinki: Finnish Music Information Center, 2005.
- Sorvali, Henri Urponpoika. Personal interview. January 6, 2006.
- Turino, Thomas. "Signs of Imagination, Identity and Experience: A Peircian Semiotic Theory for Music." Ethnomusicology. Vol. 43, No. 2. Spring/Summer, 1999. (221-255).
Cite this Research Paper:
Finnish Heavy Metal Music as Cultural Identity (2010, June 03) Retrieved August 13, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/finnish-heavy-metal-music-as-cultural-identity-120037/
"Finnish Heavy Metal Music as Cultural Identity" 03 June 2010. Web. 13 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/finnish-heavy-metal-music-as-cultural-identity-120037/>