$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper outlines the features, incidence and risk factors of elder abuse as well as the indicators of abuse. The paper discusses the paucity of appropriate assessment tools for identifying and confirming elder abuse, and highlights the challenges facing the advanced practice nurse in delivering high-quality healthcare services, particularly in cases where the elder lives at home and is cared for by other family members. Finally, the paper shows how there are some profound ethical and legal issues involved in elder abuse that must be taken into account when formulating appropriate clinical interventions.
Introduction to Issue
Introduction to Issue
From the Paper:"Although laws covering elder abuse vary from state to state slightly in the categories of abuse, generally speaking, all states in the country recognize five basic types of elder abuse: (a) neglect (either self-imposed or by another person); (b) physical abuse; (c) sexual abuse; (d) financial exploitation; and (e) emotional, including verbal, abuse (Bergeron & Gray). A number of significant gaps constrain the ability of researchers and policymakers to quantify the incidence and prevalence of elder abuse and neglect in the US, and these issues are discussed further below."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bergeron, L. R. (2000). Servicing the needs of elder abuse victims. Policy & Practice of Public Human Services, 58(3), 40.
- Bergeron, L. R. & Gray, B. (2003). Ethical dilemmas of reporting suspected elder abuse. Social Work, 48(1), 96-97.
- Chalk, R. & King, P. A. (1998, Winter). Facing up to family violence. Issues in Science and Technology, 15(2), 39-40.
- Dyer, C. B., Connolly, M. T. & McFeeley, P. (2003). Elder mistreatment: Abuse, neglect, and exploitation in an aging America. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Ebersole, P. & Hess, P. (1998). Toward healthy aging: Human needs and nursing response. St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
Cite this Research Paper:
Elder Abuse and the Advanced Practice Nurse (2010, November 17) Retrieved August 15, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/elder-abuse-and-the-advanced-practice-nurse-145591/
"Elder Abuse and the Advanced Practice Nurse" 17 November 2010. Web. 15 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/elder-abuse-and-the-advanced-practice-nurse-145591/>