Economic Impact of Online Identity Theft
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper reviews the current meaning of identity theft and explores issues surrounding the crime such as the economic impact of online identity theft. The paper presents research on the various institutions that are culpable in identity theft, discusses whether the consumer, private institutions of the government is responsible for controlling the crime, and offers a review of the history of the crime as well as past and current legislation. The paper finds that consumers must not rely on governments or corporations for protection against identity theft, but rather must take steps to protect themselves.
From the Paper:"Another reason is the multi-jurisdictional nature of the problem regarding the quite often substantial difference between the location of the crime and the criminal. The crime may be committed upon an individual who resides in the United States while the criminal may be in a completely different part of the world and in a country that has no extradition agreement with the US (Jacobson & Green, 2002, p. 275). This will of course require cooperation between governments far beyond the usual means in order to facilitate the capture and prosecution of these particular cyber criminals."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alt, B. L., & Wells, S. K. (2007). Fleecing Grandma and Grandpa: Protecting against Scams, Cons, and Frauds. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Bielski, L. (2001). Identity Theft. ABA Banking Journal, 93(1), 27.
- "Cost of Identity Theft." (2008) United States Department of Justice. National Institute of Justice. The Research, Development, and Evaluation Agency of the U.S. Department of Justice. Retrieved on October 20, 2008 from <http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/publications/id-theft/cost-theft.htm>
- Dutta, S. (2007, October). IDENTITY THEFT : A Crime of Modern Times. World and I, 18, 290.
- Federal Trade Commission 2006 Identity Theft Survey. (2007). Federal Trade Commission FTC.gov Retrieved on October 18, 2008 from http://www.ftc.gov/os/2007/11/SynovateFinalReportIDTheft2006.pdf
Cite this Research Paper:
Economic Impact of Online Identity Theft (2010, June 17) Retrieved December 04, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/economic-impact-of-online-identity-theft-127937/
"Economic Impact of Online Identity Theft" 17 June 2010. Web. 04 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/economic-impact-of-online-identity-theft-127937/>