Domestic Violence Against African-American Women Research Paper by Writing Specialists
Domestic Violence Against African-American Women
A discussion regarding the increase in domestic violence within the African-American community.
# 91954 | 4,038 words | 10 sources | APA | 2006 |
Published on Feb 08, 2007 in African-American Studies (Gender) , Ethnic Studies (General) , Women Studies (General) , Criminology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper reviews and discusses the statistics relating to the level of domestic violence against African-American Women. The paper further discusses the different opinions on whether race and ethnicity plays a role in determining the risk of becoming the victim of domestic violence. The paper concludes with a discussion regarding the intervention and prevention of domestic violence within this community.
From the Paper:"There are different opinions on whether race and ethnicity plays a role in determining the risk of becoming the victim of domestic violence. Even so, studies have shown "different types of minorities report significantly different rates of intimate partner violence". (U.S. Department of Justice, 2000) Considering the minority groups affected, the African American represents the largest segment. In comparison to the Asian Pacific Islander, the number of women victimized by an intimate partner in lifetime is almost six times bigger, while reporting it to the American Indian/ Alaska Native, it is eight times bigger; consideration should be given to the difference in size between the minority group which would show that it is the American Indian community that reported a 37 % in women abuse; however, the data points the African American community as being one of the most affected by domestic violence in the American society (U.S. Department of Justice, 2000). "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Browne, A. (1997). Violence in Marriage: until death do us part? in Cardarelli, A.P (Ed.) Violence between intimate partners: patterns, causes and effects. New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief (2003). Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001. Retrieved April 15, 2006, from http://www.endabuse.org/resources/facts/.
- Domestic violence (2005). Retrieved April 15, 2006, from FaithTrust Institute Web Site:http://www.faithtrustinstitute.org/index.php?p=Q_%26_A&s=45.
- Domestic Violence Services Available in Henrico County. Henrico County Citizen. Retrieved April 15, 2006 from Henrico County Board of Supervisors Tuckahoe District Web Site:http://www.patobannon.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=21#top.
- Fortune, M. (1991). A commentary on religious issues in family violence. Violence in the Family: A workshop for Clergy and Other Helpers. Cleveland: The Pilgrim Press.
Cite this Research Paper:
Domestic Violence Against African-American Women (2007, February 08) Retrieved May 27, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/domestic-violence-against-african-american-women-91954/
"Domestic Violence Against African-American Women" 08 February 2007. Web. 27 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/domestic-violence-against-african-american-women-91954/>