Davis, California Wood Burning Regulations and Ban
This paper discusses the science, regulations, and health effects behind the 2010 ban of residential wood burning in Davis, California.
# 147274 | 3,075 words | 12 sources | APA | 2011 |
Published on Mar 07, 2011 in Environmental Studies (Air Pollution) , Environmental Studies (Urban Issues) , Environmental Studies (Environmental Problems)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examine regulations, passed in 2010 in Davis, California, that restrict the burning of wood in residential areas for environmental reasons. The paper briefly discusses the problems of air pollution before continuing to explain the regulations as passed in Davis. The paper also presents a scientific review of the wood burning process and the results in terms of air pollution and the health hazards posed by the uncontrolled burning of wood.
From the Paper:"Davis, California is well known for its environmentally friendly policies and planning. As a highly ranked "Platinum" bike city with numerous environmentally friendly building codes, Davis often adopts stricter policies than required by the state and federal governments and leads the way for cities hoping to increase their long-term sustainability. As of March 1, 2010, Davis has implemented new restrictions regarding residential wood burning within city limits. Based on the city's Natural Resource Commission's recommendations, the new regulations include restrictions on the burning time allowed per residence per day, the type of wood that may be burned, and the days on which wood can be burned. Although there are regulations at the federal, state, and county level, the rules at the city level of Davis rise above in an effort to protect human and environmental health and curb urban pollution caused by residential wood burning."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Allen, J. M., & Cooke, M.W. (1981). Control of Emissions from Residential Wood Burning by Combustion Modification. Research Triangle Park, NC: United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- City of Davis City Council. (2009). Woodburning Ban & Restriction Ordinance. Retrieved March 4, 2010, from http://cityofdavis.org/story/?story=WoodburningBanAndRestrictionOrdinance.
- McDonald, J.D., Zielinska, B., Fujita, E.M., Sagebiel, J.C., Chow, J.C., & Watson, J.G. (2000). Fine Particle and Gaseous Emissions from Residential Wood Combustion. Environmental Science & Technology, 34, 2080-2091.
- Schnelle, K.B. & Brown, C.A. (2002). Air Pollution Control Technology Handbook. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Schwela, D. (2000). Air pollution and health in urban areas. Reviews on Environmental Health, 15(1-2), 13-42.
Cite this Research Paper:
Davis, California Wood Burning Regulations and Ban (2011, March 07) Retrieved December 04, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/davis-california-wood-burning-regulations-and-ban-147274/
"Davis, California Wood Burning Regulations and Ban" 07 March 2011. Web. 04 December. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/davis-california-wood-burning-regulations-and-ban-147274/>