Conscription in Canada During World War I Research Paper by cee-cee
Conscription in Canada During World War I
An analysis of the conscription crisis that developed in Canada in 1917.
# 109430 | 2,767 words | 15 sources | MLA | 2008 |
Published on Nov 30, 2008 in History (British) , Canadian Studies (History, Culture) , Canadian Studies (Military, Peace-Keeping) , Canadian Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the tensions and divisions that conscription created within Canada in 1917 when the allied situation in World War I demanded a massive mobilization of manpower. At the beginning of the war, voluntary enlistment was taken for granted, but as the war dragged on it did not produce the needed numbers. The writer explains that the French-speaking community in Quebec was seen as not doing their part and this led to heated and bitter debate and further divisions between them and the English-speaking community. The writer provides the historical and political background for these divisions and discusses how conscription affected other groups negatively as well.
World War I
World War I
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ameringer, Charles D. Political Parties of the Americas, 1980s to 1990s: Canada, Latin America, and the West Indie. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1992.
- Bothwell, Robert. History of Canada since 1867. Washington, D.C.: Association for Canadian Studies in the United States, 1996.
- Boudreau, Joseph A. "Canada and the First World War: Essays in Honour of Robert "Canada and Worlod War I," The History of Canada (2007), http://www.linksnorth.com/canada-history/canadaandworldwar1.html.
- Brown, George W. Canada. Berkeley, California: University of California Press, 1950.
- Craig Brown." American Review of Canadian Studies 36(2006).
Cite this Research Paper:
Conscription in Canada During World War I (2008, November 30) Retrieved March 21, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/conscription-in-canada-during-world-war-i-109430/
"Conscription in Canada During World War I" 30 November 2008. Web. 21 March. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/conscription-in-canada-during-world-war-i-109430/>