Childhood Obesity and Society
An examination of how childhood obesity affects society both in the present and in the future.
# 101700 | 1,732 words | 8 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Feb 29, 2008 in Medical and Health (Eating Disorders) , Medical and Health (Public Health Issues) , Psychology (Eating Disorders) , Child, Youth Issues (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how childhood obesity rates are continuing to rise and how effective actions need to occur to prevent childhood obesity and lower rates of obesity. The paper looks at how many factors contribute to childhood obesity and how there are many prevention strategies. It also examines how obesity increases the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and many other chronic diseases. The paper contends that childhood obesity not only affects the parents and the children, but everyone, including the money spent on obesity related healthcare. This epidemic is changing our society, and America needs to wake up and change how the food industry is working right now.
From the Paper:"Moreover, childhood obesity can have a big impact on the child's health. Type II diabetes was referred as Adult diabetes because adults were the ones who were mainly affected and were at risk for this disease, however since so many children are being affected by this disease it is now referred to as Type II diabetes. "The parallel increase of obesity in children and adolescents is reported to be the most significant factor for the rise in diabetes" (American Obesity Association). Childhood obesity can also lead to asthma as well as hypertension; obese children are nine times more likely to suffer from hypertension than a non-obese child (American Obesity Association). Children who are obese can also suffer from orthopedic conditions because their bones are not strong enough to hold the excess weight their bodies have."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Obesity Association "AOA Fact Sheets: Obesity in Youth" 10/11/06 <http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/obesity_youth.shtml>
- California Center for Public Health Advocacy "Dropping the Ball: Schools fail to meet physical education mandates" 10/12/06 <http://www.publichealthadvocacy.org/droppingtheball.html>
- "California Center Program Manual" California Center for Civic Participation, 2006
- Campos, Belinda. Personal Interview. 29 Sept. 2006
- Merriam-Webster, Incorporated "Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: obesity" 10/11/06 <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/obesity>
Cite this Research Paper:
Childhood Obesity and Society (2008, February 29) Retrieved November 13, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/childhood-obesity-and-society-101700/
"Childhood Obesity and Society" 29 February 2008. Web. 13 November. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/childhood-obesity-and-society-101700/>