Child Brain Development
A discussion on the cognitive development of children, focusing on the need for external stimulation.
# 91413 | 1,781 words | 6 sources | APA | 2006
Published on Dec 28, 2006 in Psychology (Child and Adolescent) , Psychology (Freud) , Psychology (Piaget) , Psychology (Theory) , Child, Youth Issues (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the need for stimulation to the brain as a child develops from infant to toddler. It discusses that during these stages, without external stimulation, it is very unlikely that a child will develop healthy functionality of various organs, including the eyes and brain. The paper references three psychologists, Jean Piaget, Erik Erickson, and Sigmund Freud, that have studied cognitive development from infant to early adolescents.
From the Paper:" In Erickson's eight stages of psychosocial development, he studies all age groups from infancy through adulthood. In the first and second stages address the development of infants and toddlers through the first two years of life. In Erickson's first stage, the baby develops trust vs. mistrust. In this stage the baby needs care, love, food, and to be held in the mother's arms. If a child receives these essential needs from a parent or guardian, the needs of the child are met and he will develop trust in adults. The child may then experience normal cognitive, emotional, and social growth. However, if a child is deprived of this nurturing, she will develop an overall mistrust of people in her environment (Harder)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Adlakha, Amit. (2001). Music in Development and Intelligence. Retrieved May 4, 2006. From the World Wide Web:http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studentwebs/session2/group41/develop.htm
- Anonymous. (2000). Breast Milk. Retrieved April 19, 2006. From the World Wide Web:http://proquest.umi.com.library.esc.edu/pqdweb?index=60&did=63459057&SrchMode=1...
- Berk, Laura, E. (2005). Infant & Children. Fifth Edition.
- Fackler, Amy. (2005). Speech and Language Development. Retrieved May 4, 2006. From the World Wide Web: http://health.yahoo.com/topic/parenting/behavior/article/healthwise/hw265269;_ylt=AmD6....
- Harder, Arlene, F. (2002). The Development Stages of Erickson. Retrieved March 4, 2006. From the World Wide Web: http://www.learningplaceonline.com/stages/organize/Erikson.htm
Cite this Research Paper:
Child Brain Development (2006, December 28) Retrieved December 10, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/child-brain-development-91413/
"Child Brain Development" 28 December 2006. Web. 10 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/child-brain-development-91413/>