Advertising for Children
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how the prevalence of childhood obesity and related health issues have convinced many legislators and health professionals that food advertising to children is at least partly to blame. The paper relates that children view more commercials aimed at getting them to choose fast food, unhealthy food and sweet foods than nutritious and healthy food. This is apparent in current ads for chocolate milk, cookies, microwavable french fries and a host of other foods that are tantalizing to children. The paper demonstrates how the advertising industry seeks to make money for their clients, not protect consumers, and until that mentality changes, Americans and their children will continue to be bombarded with advertising that is geared to sell hamburgers rather than encourage a new generation of healthy eaters.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anderson, Patricia M., Kristin F. Butcher, and Phillip B. Levine. "Economic Perspectives on Childhood Obesity." Economic Perspectives 27.3 (2003): 30+.
- Editors. "Resolution on Food Advertising & Marketing to Children." TACD.org. 13 Jan. 2004. 28 Feb. 2006.< http://www.tacd.org/docs/?id=220 >
- Gunter, Barrie, Caroline Oates, and Mark Blades. Advertising to Children on TV: Content, Impact, and Regulation. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2005.
- Johnson, Melissa D., and Brian M. Young. "Chapter 13: Advertising History of Televisual Media." The Faces of Televisual Media: Teaching, Violence, Selling to Children. Ed. Edward L. Palmer and Brian M. Young. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2003. 265-281.
- Higgins, Marguerite. "No Ban on Food Ads for Children." The Washington Times 15 July 2005: C09.
Cite this Research Paper:
Advertising for Children (2007, March 12) Retrieved August 20, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/research-paper/advertising-for-children-93172/
"Advertising for Children" 12 March 2007. Web. 20 August. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/research-paper/advertising-for-children-93172/>