Contemporary Poetry about the Old South
Analyzes the poetry of Natasha Trethewey in "Native Guard" and Marilyn Nelson in "A Wreath for Emmett Till" as contemporary American eulogies to the Old South.
# 107315 | 2,030 words | 10 sources | MLA | 2008 |
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that both American poets, Natasha Trethewey in "Native Guard" and Marilyn Nelson in "A Wreath for Emmett Till", tackle aspects of the American history of racial intolerance. Their interconnected poems are united by common themes and structures as well as their enclosure within the covers of a single volume. They pay their respect to seismic historical events in American history, which are of personal significance to the poets. The paper then points out that Nelson's book is a text of anger at present and past racism; however, Trethewey's gentler volume is a homage to her family and to anonymous soldiers. The paper reviews the content and structure of both sets of poems.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Black Soldiers in Blue: African American Troops in the Civil War Era. Edited by John David Smith. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2004.
- Brown, Jeffery. "Pulitzer Prize Winner Trethewey Discusses Poetry Collection."Transcript of Online New Hour. 25 Apr 2007. 6 Jun 2007. <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/jan-june07/trethewey_04-25.html>
- Harold, Christine & Kevin M. DeLuca, "Behold the Corpse: Violent Images and the Case of Emmett Till." Rhetoric & Public Affairs. 8.2. 2005. 263-286
- Nelson, Marilyn. A Wreath for Emmett Till. Houghton Mifflin, 2005.
- Pinkney, Andrea Davis "Marilyn Nelson: Author Program, In-depth Interview."Transcript of an audio interview. www.TeachingBooks.net. 6 Jun 2007. <http://www.teachingbooks.net/content/Nelson_qu.pdf>
Cite this Poem Review:
Contemporary Poetry about the Old South (2008, September 01) Retrieved April 18, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/poem-review/contemporary-poetry-about-the-old-south-107315/
"Contemporary Poetry about the Old South" 01 September 2008. Web. 18 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/poem-review/contemporary-poetry-about-the-old-south-107315/>