Universal Health Care System
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer notes that currently over seven million people in California gamble with their health, as they live without health insurance coverage. It is the position of this paper that California should adopt some form of a universal health care system for its citizens. The benefits for doing so clearly out weigh the costs. The writer maintains that this is a problem that will only escalate in the future as premiums, populations, and life expectancy continue to expand. The paper begins with an overview of the pending California bill that, if passed, would create a universal health-care system. Then, the positives and negatives of adopting such a system are critically analyzed, with the focus primarily being on overall costs, quality and innovation. Finally, in light of this evidence, a conclusion is drawn as to what California should do in this regard.
From the Paper:"The program would be funded through the Health Insurance Fund, an independent state fund. The fund would put in place various cost control measures that would allow for the funding and spending to be able to adapt to changes in the health market, enabling the system to remain efficient and beneficial. One cost controlling measure of particular interest is the provision that would allow the Commissioner to refuse an individual coverage until they prove they plan to remain in California for a to-be-determined eligibility period. Another interesting provision is one prohibiting any private health insurance program that covers benefits already covered by the California system to be sold within the state."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Health Insurance Plans. "Health Insurance Plans:Economic Impact in the States." American Health InsurancePlans. 2005
- Arthurs, Sara. "Flatlining: The Deadly Costs of Health Care." Times-Standard. 24 August 2005.
- Association of California Life and Health Insurance Companies. "Quick Facts." Association of California Life and Health Insurance Companies. 2006
- California Association of Health Plans. "Report." California Association of Health Plans. 2005
- California State Senate. "Senate Bill 840." California State Senate 2005.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Universal Health Care System (2008, July 30) Retrieved May 08, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/universal-health-care-system-106274/
"Universal Health Care System" 30 July 2008. Web. 08 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/universal-health-care-system-106274/>