Underage Drinking: Lowering the Limit
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper briefly argues that the drinking age in the United States should be lowered because it is counter-productive to alcohol education, it does not necessarily prevent drunk driving, and that many privileges of being an adult are introduced far before a person can legally drink. It concludes that tough laws against drinking and driving and responsible alcohol education at an early age will help to minimize the social ills associated with alcohol.
From the Paper:"Another reason why the drinking age should be lowered is that those who are under 21 gain many of the rights and responsibilities of adulthood. According to Choose Responsibly "18 year-olds can vote, enlist and fight in Iraq, enter into binding contracts, marry, own businesses, serve in judgment on a jury and a host of other rights and responsibilities. In nearly all cultures, alcohol consumption is coincident with the legal age of adulthood." (Choose Responsibility - Abridgement of the age of majority). Furthermore, 37 states set the age of consent below the age of 18, which is the age of majority in all states (Wikipedia - Age Of Consent In North America). This creates a scenario in which a minor is an adult when it comes to consent for sexual activity, but an adult is a minor when it comes to alcohol consumption."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Choose Responsibility - Abridgement of the age of majority. October 16, 2008. http://www.chooseresponsibility.org/article/view/15538/1/2642/
- Dee, Thomas and Evans, William. "Behavioral Policies and Teen Traffic Safety". National Youth Rights Association. August 31, 2007. October 16, 2008. http://www.youthrights.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=108&act=view
- Hanson, David J. "Reduce College Alcohol Binging: Lower The Drinking Age". Potsdam University. October 16, 2008. http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/1127407329.html
- Johnson, Alex. "Debate On Lower Drinking Age Bubbling Up" MSNBC. August 14, 2007. October 16, 2008. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/
- Van der Galien, Michael. "Drinking Responsibly". Poli-Gazette. March 30, 2008. October 16, 2008. http://poligazette.com/2008/03/30/drinking-responsibly/
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Underage Drinking: Lowering the Limit (2009, January 23) Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/underage-drinking-lowering-the-limit-111492/
"Underage Drinking: Lowering the Limit" 23 January 2009. Web. 22 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/underage-drinking-lowering-the-limit-111492/>