Turn Off The Television!
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The writer asserts that because of advertising to children on television, children now nag their parents to buy what they want and they become the consumers of the future. The writer reveals that advertisers know that children are cognitively not developed enough to resist such advertising and once these consumption patterns are established early on in life, they will be difficult to eradicate. The writer uses the Dora the Explorer television character to illustrate how an entertainment show has become an advertising medium for an expensive cereal. The writer discusses the need to ban advertising to children and proposes that parents should simply ban television from their home and reinstate the family meal as an institution. The writer is passionate about not buying food masquerading as toys, like the Dora the Explorer cereal.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Beder, Sharon. '"A Community View', Caring for Children in the Media Age." Papers from a national conference, edited by John Squires and Tracy Newlands, New College Institute for Values Research. Sydney, 1998, pp. 101-111. "Children, Adolescents, and Advertising." 24 Sept 2007.http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/sbeder/children.html#RTFToC1
- "Dora the Explorer Cereal." The Breakfast Bowl. Jun 2006. 24 Sept 2007.http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2006/06/dora-explorer-cereal.html
- Martin, A. (2007). "Kellogg to Phase Out Some Food Ads to Children." The New York Times. 14 Jun 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/business/14kellogg.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
- "Statement by the American Academy of Pediatrics." Pediatrics. Dec 2006. 118:6: 2564-2569. 24 Sept 2007. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/6/2563?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT
- Topel, Amy. "Setting Lifelong Eating Habits." National Geographic Green Guide. Sept/Oct 2004. 24 Sept 2007.http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/104/patterns
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Turn Off The Television! (2008, September 22) Retrieved July 02, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/turn-off-the-television-108099/
"Turn Off The Television!" 22 September 2008. Web. 02 July. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/turn-off-the-television-108099/>