The Role of Cyber Security in Counter-Terrorism Efforts Persuasive Essay by scribbler
The Role of Cyber Security in Counter-Terrorism Efforts
A discussion on cyber security as a crucial component of an overall counter-terrorist strategy.
# 153038 | 1,288 words | 12 sources | APA | 2013 |
Published on May 02, 2013 in Hot Topics (Terror and 9/11) , Political Science (Terrorism) , Computer and Technology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper reveals that cyber security is the single most important concern for counter-terrorism officials and relates that cyber attacks may be more dangerous when they are designed for espionage purposes, and not the outright sabotage of information systems. The paper discusses the penetration-type and denial-of-service type of cyber attack and addresses the vulnerabilities of cloud computing networks to attack. The paper also reveals that although China has been identified as a major source of penetration-type attacks intended to take intellectual property, most cyber attacks in general come from the United States, Russia, and Europe, and all state-sponsored cyber attacks threaten cyber security globally. The paper concludes by predicting that cyber protection will become one of the most important issues in counter-terrorism, and will also be an area of significant private sector investment.
From the Paper:"Cyber security is an integral part of counter-terrorism, with implications for both the private and public sectors. A recent report by the government of Canada shows that cyber attacks have hit 86 percent of large Canadian corporations, and that "espionage hacking on the private sector has doubled in two years," (Tibbetts 2010). Cyber security is a systematic and thorough response to the real and rising threat of cyber attacks, which impact the integrity of information systems in government, banking, education, business, and personal computers. Gallaher, Link & Rowe (2008) refer to information technology systems as being the central "nervous system" of the United States (p. 3). Indeed, much of the global infrastructure depends on information technology--in sectors ranging from agriculture and water to energy and transportation (Gallaher et al 2008). Cyber attacks can disrupt any number of essential services, which is why cyber security has become a crucial component of an overall counter-terrorist strategy.
"In fact, the American Department of Defense is noted as saying that cyber security is the single most important concern for counter-terrorism officials. Schachtman (2010) points out, "In the military, there's now broad agreement that one cyber threat trumps all others: electronic espionage, the infiltration (and possible corruption) of Defense Department networks.""
Sample of Sources Used:
- Farrell, N. (2010). Criminal gangs could take over Stuxnet. TechEye. 26 Nov 2010. Retrieved online: http://www.techeye.net/security/criminal-gangs-could-take-over-stuxnet
- Gallaher. M.P., Link, A.N. & Rowe, B. (2008). Cyber Security: Economic Strategies and Public Policy Alternatives. Cheltenham: Edward Elger.
- Grant, I. (2010). Italy is chief source of mobile cyber attacks, says Akamai. Computer Weekly. Retrieved oline: http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/10/20/243458/Italy-is-chief-source-of-mobile-cyber-attacks-says.htm
- Schachtman, N. (2010). Cybersecurity: Here's What Really Worries the Pentagon. Wired. 6 Jan, 2010. Retrieved online: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01/cybersecurity-heres-what-really-worries-the-pentagon/
- Schatz, A. (2009). Obama CTO Addresses Cloud Computing, Cybersecurity. Wall Street Journal 21 May 2009. Retrieved online: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/05/21/obama-cto-addresses-cloud-computing-cybersecurity/
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Role of Cyber Security in Counter-Terrorism Efforts (2013, May 02) Retrieved March 31, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-role-of-cyber-security-in-counter-terrorism-efforts-153038/
"The Role of Cyber Security in Counter-Terrorism Efforts" 02 May 2013. Web. 31 March. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-role-of-cyber-security-in-counter-terrorism-efforts-153038/>