The Pedagogy of Paolo Freire
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that Paolo Freire states that, when the oppressed believe they cannot make changes to their situation, the oppressor has the upper hand; however, when the oppressed recognize their oppression, they can break out of their bonds. The author points out that teachers can play a major role in helping their students help each other break the barriers that exist to educational equity through dialogue; however, this only comes with the ending of oppression and the love among fellow men. The paper stresses that all education should be co-intentional, where both teachers and students engage as active subjects in the understanding and analysis of knowledge and thus also interact in the development of knowledge on a non-oppressive model.
From the Paper:"All one has to do is pick up a book by Jonathan Kozol, such as "Savage Inequalities" to see the differentiation that occurs between those who have and those who have not in the United States. According to Kozol, the U.S. suffers from a functional illiteracy rate of about 25 percent, color-based unemployment, the complete loss of a social service safety net, an assault on working conditions among those who actually do have jobs and representative government that only represent those with money."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anderson, N. (2004) A Good Student, Trapped": Urban Minority Males and Constructions of Academic Achievement. Source Perspectives in Education 22(4), 71-82.
- Frankenstein, M. (1987) Critical Mathematics Education. In Freire for the Classroom. Ira Shor (Ed). Portsmouth, NH: Boyton
- Freire, P. (1970) Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: Seabury Press.
- Gibson, R. (1999) Paulo Freire and Pedagogy For Social Justice. Theory and Research in Social Education, Spring.
- Kozol, Jonathan (1991). Savage Inequalities. New York: Crown Publishers.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Pedagogy of Paolo Freire (2007, February 02) Retrieved September 18, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-pedagogy-of-paolo-freire-91631/
"The Pedagogy of Paolo Freire" 02 February 2007. Web. 18 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-pedagogy-of-paolo-freire-91631/>