The Patriot Act: A Danger to Civil Liberties
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses President Bush's claim that the Patriot Act protects our freedoms as American citizens, but argues that in reality, it does nothing more than to enforce the government's right to infringe upon our freedom whenever they see fit. The paper reveals that the Act allows the government to monitor the courses students take in college, their grades in those courses and any and all activity on their library cards. The paper highlights the flaws in former attorney general John Ashcroft's arguments supporting the Patriot Act and contends that the Patriot Act has no place under the Constitution of the United States.
From the Paper:"The USA PATRIOT Act, commonly referred to merely as the Patriot Act, passed in the wake of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks, gives the United States government the right to collect intelligence through various new means. These rights allow the government to monitor everything from the telephone calls Americans make to the library books they check out under the umbrella of "reasonable suspicion." Originally, it was planned to be a temporary solution to a security problem during a dangerous time, but it remains in effect eight years later, with no end in sight, thus the controversy surrounding the issue."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ashcroft, John. "The USA PATRIOT Act Provides the Security That Protects Americans' Liberty." Opposing Viewpoints. Gale, 2005. Web. 30 Oct. 2009.
- Bader, Eleanor J. "The Patriot Act Has Led To Increased Censorship in the United States." Opposing Viewpoints. Gale, 2005. Web. 29 Oct. 2009.
- Bush, George W. "The Patriot Act Should Be Expanded." Opposing Viewpoints. Gale, 2005. Web. 30 Oct. 2009.
- McManus, John F. "The Patriot Act Abuses Civil Liberties." Opposing Viewpoints. Gale, 2007. Web. 1 Nov. 2009.
- Miller, Amy, and Ryan Lozar. "The Patriot Act Threatens Students' Privacy Rights." Opposing Viewpoints. Gale, 2005. Web. 30 Oct. 2009.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Patriot Act: A Danger to Civil Liberties (2010, June 25) Retrieved October 14, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-patriot-act-a-danger-to-civil-liberties-128044/
"The Patriot Act: A Danger to Civil Liberties" 25 June 2010. Web. 14 October. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-patriot-act-a-danger-to-civil-liberties-128044/>