The Obsession With Beauty
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper describes how beauty has become the social norm and has caused society to make judgments on a daily basis based solely on appearance. The paper reveals results of studies that show that good-looking people are often more successful in education, the workplace and in their relationships. The paper then discusses how children are being taught through fairytales that good people are attractive while bad people are ugly, with society then reiterating this message in a variety of ways as the children grow up.
From the Paper:"Some of the differences in physical appearance are due to genes while others are the result of a disease or a person's age. However, many people's looks change with the assistance of personal adornment such as jewelry, clothing, and hairstyle. Traditionally, differences in appearance such as elongated stride, skeletal shape, or the position of the jaw have been linked to race, but it is a sensitive and controversial matter. Cultures around the world and throughout history have placed different degrees of importance on physical appearance and its association with social status and other related phenomena."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ackerman, D. (1991). A natural history of the senses. Knopf Publishing Group.
- BrainyMedia.com. (2007). Sophia Loren Quotes. Retrieved November 23, 2007, from BrainyQuote Web site: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/ sophia_loren.html
- Etcoff, N. (2000). Survival of the prettiest: The science of beauty. Anchor.
- Schmidt, K. (2007). Social values & norms. Retrieved November 23, 2007, from Society & Lifestyle Web site: http://www.helium.com/tm/496979/beauty-valuable-there-doubt
- Stringer, R. (2007). Importance of appearance in society. Retrieved November 23, 2007, from Social Values & Norms Web site: http://www.helium.com/tm/638177/fuller-smaller-bigger-calves
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Obsession With Beauty (2009, November 12) Retrieved May 26, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-obsession-with-beauty-117076/
"The Obsession With Beauty" 12 November 2009. Web. 26 May. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-obsession-with-beauty-117076/>