The I-35-West Mississippi Bridge
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how on August 1, 2007, the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapsed, sending cars, drivers, and construction workers to their deaths. The paper focuses on the ethical issues involved with this collapse and relates that the bridge was known to have flaws, was actually deemed "structurally deficient," and yet, the bridge was allowed to remain open. Further, the paper reveals that the bridge was already flawed in its design, implicating the design and engineering firms who created it. The paper contends that the nation's infrastructure is crumbling and not enough is being done to stop more accidents from occurring.
From the Paper:"The I-35 West Bridge was constructed in 1967, and inspected regularly thereafter by the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The last time it was inspected was in May 2007, where the Department inspectors noted some "weld details," and noted they would continue to inspect the bridge. They did not deem it unsafe. The bridge was rated a 4 out of 9, and the U.S. Department of Transportation website notes, "The 4 rating means that the state can continue to operate the bridge without load restrictions (0= shut down, 9 = perfect)" (Editors). An engineering expert notes, "Until it plunged into the Mississippi River, it served as a transportation lifeline for the growing Twin Cities population, carrying across its 14 spans many of the SUVs, cars and trucks that accounted for the 42 percent rise in Minnesota's vehicle traffic from 1990 to 2003" (Flynn). Thus, it came under increasingly heavy use, it was showing signs of stress and wear, (such as the weakened welds), and it was known it was not a 9 or "perfect" bridge."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Author not Available. "The Collapse." MyFoxTwinCities. 2007. 27 Oct. 2008.<http://media.myfoxtwincities.com/special/35wbridgecollapse/index.htm>
- Condon, Patrick. "I35-W Bridge Collapse: Oberstar Bristles at Leak From Safety Board." Duluth News Tribune. 2008. 27 Oct. 2008.<http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/76734/>
- Editors. "I-35 Bridge Collapse, Minneapolis, MN." U.S. Department of Transportation. 2008. 27 Oct. 2008.<http://www.dot.gov/affairs/factsheet080207.htm>
- Flynn, Stephen. "Minn. Bridge Collapse Reveals Brittle America." Popular Mechanics. 2007. 27 Oct. 2008.<http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/transportation/4219981.html>
- Sofge, Eric. "5 Engineering Lessons From the New, Reopened Minnesota Bridge." Popular Mechanics. 2008. 27 Oct. 2008.<http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/transportation/4285220.html>
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The I-35-West Mississippi Bridge (2010, July 11) Retrieved August 13, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-i-35-west-mississippi-bridge-128306/
"The I-35-West Mississippi Bridge" 11 July 2010. Web. 13 August. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-i-35-west-mississippi-bridge-128306/>