The Case for Affirmative Action Persuasive Essay by Nicky
The Case for Affirmative Action
An argument in support of the practice of affirmative action.
# 146424 | 2,055 words | 7 sources | APA | 2010 |
Published on Dec 26, 2010 in Education (Higher) , African-American Studies (Racism) , Hot Topics (Affirmative Action)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper provides an overview of affirmative action, one of the strongest officially sanctioned instruments for eroding the continued imbalance of opportunity for black and white students in the United States. The paper examines the literature pertaining to affirmative action and highlights the value of this practice. The paper identifies the arguments against it but ultimately illustrates that affirmative action remains necessary today. The paper shows how with the proper implementation, affirmative action can be an extremely effective channel to providing access to education and employment for America's racially disadvantaged.
From the Paper:"Though affirmative action is still a controversial issue, it is nothing new. Debates can still be heard on this subject as it inundates news broadcasts, radio airways and printed materials. Currently you can find debates that are focused on the use of affirmative action in higher education as a result of recent judicial inquiries into the fairness and necessity of the practice. Those that are for affirmative action argue that its implementation is more than necessary to ensure that minorities receive equal opportunity. Opponents of affirmative action contend that the practice is not necessary because it does not promote equality; in fact those against affirmative action argue that it does not help minorities but rather degrades them. Some opponents even argue that affirmative action sends minorities the message that they can only succeed if they are given extra benefits; which results, in damaging their cultural credibility and collective advancement.."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brunner, B. (2004). Timeline of Affirmative Action Milestones. Black History Month. Online at http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmativetimeline1.html
- Cosner, K.L. (1997). Affirmative Action in Higher Education: Lessons Directions from the Supreme Court. Journal of Law: Indiana University. Online at http://www.law.indiana.edu/ilj/v71/no4/cosner.html
- Fernandez, J. (2005). Confronting Racism through Workshops. News Record. Online at http://www.news record.com/news/education/crossroads052205.htm
- Foxworth, R. (2005). The Color of Politics and the Idiocy of American Racism. Baltimore Chronicle. Online at http://baltimorechronicle.com/042805Foxworth.shtml>
- Froomkin, D. (1998). Affirmative Action Under Attack. Washington Post. Online at <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpsrv/politics/special/affirm/affirm.htm>
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Case for Affirmative Action (2010, December 26) Retrieved June 07, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-case-for-affirmative-action-146424/
"The Case for Affirmative Action" 26 December 2010. Web. 07 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-case-for-affirmative-action-146424/>