The Benefits of Nuclear Technology Persuasive Essay by Nicky
The Benefits of Nuclear Technology
An argument in favor of nuclear technology as a clean and cheap energy source.
# 148926 | 1,500 words | 5 sources | APA | 2011 |
Published on Nov 15, 2011 in Physics (Matter and Energy) , Physics (Nuclear)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper addresses the fears regarding nuclear technology and asserts that there must be safeguards, security and control measures in place to ensure that nuclear technology as an energy source cannot be converted into weapons. The paper argues that there are global and national agencies that monitor nuclear technology programs and so the evolution of nuclear technology and its use as a vital, cheap and viable energy source is not without the necessary safety and security measures. The paper concludes that the disadvantages of nuclear technology are miniscule compared to the advantages this modern invention and innovation of mankind has to offer.
From the Paper:"Any technology since the dawn of civilization has met with resistance and/or caution. The usual reason for which is the lack of thorough knowledge and understanding. Further, technology has always been and will always be a double-edged sword - it can be used to create and defend, and in the same manner, it can be the cause of destruction and devastation. Take for instance when humans discovered fire during the prehistoric times. Chances are the first fire discovered was the result of a lightning strike on a flammable object and when this was seen, it brought heat and light. Prehistoric man also found it can cook food and boil water. But then it was also used to conquer and burn rival clans.
"From the prehistoric times there have been several technological inventions and innovations throughout the centuries. During our recent forebear's and our generation, nuclear technology is one of the highlights of man's inventive mind. But the history of nuclear technology was not a story of an invention that benefits mankind. It was developed to destroy humanity - or part thereof - when the first destructive nuclear explosions were set upon Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan during World War II. Since then, nuclear technology has been viewed negatively due to the ravage it caused when it was first used as a weapon of mass destruction."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alternate Energy Sources. (2009). There are advantages of nuclear energy as there are challenges. [Online] Retrieved June 4, 2009 from, http://www.alternate-energy-sources.com/advantages-of-nuclear-energy.html.
- ElBaradei, M. (2007, September 18). "Nuclear technology: Looking to the future." Introductory Statement to the 10th Scientific Forum of the 51st Session of the IAEA General Conference in Vienna, Austria. [Online] Retrieved June 4, 2009 from the International Atomic Energy Agency, http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Statements/2007/ebsp2007n015.html.
- Jackson, S.A. (2009). Nuclear technologies essay. [Online] Retrieved June 4, 2009 from the National Academy of Engineering, http://www.greatachievements.org/?id=3703.
- Time for Change. (2009). Nuclear power information. [Online] Retrieved June 4, 2009 from, http://timeforchange.org/nuclear-energy.
- World Nuclear Association. (2009, June). The economics of nuclear power. [Online] Retrieved June 4, 2009 from, http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf02.html.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
The Benefits of Nuclear Technology (2011, November 15) Retrieved May 28, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-benefits-of-nuclear-technology-148926/
"The Benefits of Nuclear Technology" 15 November 2011. Web. 28 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/the-benefits-of-nuclear-technology-148926/>