Social Construction of Women of Color
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explores the social perceptions that have been built into society as cultural and social patterns that discriminate both against the African-American race and the female gender. The paper shows how women of color became a target of negative social construction that has been transformed into institutional policy which is discriminatory. The paper also reveals that women of color are targeted for prosecution for drug abuse, which shows how the justice system discriminates against women of color. In addition, the paper illustrates how in society today, there is too much emphasis placed on social positioning and hierarchy.
From the Paper:"Research reveals that social construction perpetuates myths based on racial and gender stereotyping. It overemphasizes the difference between races, when science has show that differences among races are much more subtle than the differences between members of the same race, and more subtle than the differences between species in other classes of natural science. We are all members of the same species, and that makes us much more alike than different. However, overemphasis on specific physical disparities such as race and gender have resulted in social discrimination, and in disproportionate and unjust assumptions of biological origins for the difference between races that would give rise to perceived "racial characteristics" thereof. In effect, there are no such things as racial or gender characteristics, besides the physical differences, and human genetics are not different but shared between all human beings."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Addressing Achievement gaps. (2005) The Progress and Challenge of Women and Girls' Education and Work. ETS Policy Notes Vol 13 (2) Fall 2005. Retrieved March 4, 2008: http://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/PICPN132.pdf
- Callahan, J and Roberts, D. A FEMINIST SOCIAL JUSTICE APPROACH TO REPRODUCTION-ASSISTING TECHNOLOGIES: A CASE STUDY ON THE LIMITS OF LIBERAL THEORY. Adapted for presentation from the Kentucky Law Journal 84/4 (1996): 1197-1234. Retrieved March 4, 2008: http://www.uky.edu/~buddy/FeministSocialJusticeApproach.htm
- Baca Zinn, M. and Dill, B. (2008) Women of Color in US Society: Difference and Domination." Retrieved March 1, 2008: http://www.temple.edu/tempress/chapters/657_ch1.pdf
- Gender Discrimination in the Post-Civil Rights Era." (2008). Retrieved March 1, 2008: http://www.stetson.edu/~kkaivola/discrim.html
- Women and Reproductive Rights. (2008) Retrieved March 4, 2008: http://www.publiceye.org/defendingjustice/con_agendas/womenmain.html
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Social Construction of Women of Color (2009, November 30) Retrieved July 06, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/social-construction-of-women-of-color-117419/
"Social Construction of Women of Color" 30 November 2009. Web. 06 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/social-construction-of-women-of-color-117419/>